Zddp

Is zddp oil additive needed for the 1989 Turbo Trans am?

depends...stock cam, stock springs "no"...stock or new cam & heavy 100# springs "yes"...stock or new cam & beehive springs "probably not"...roller cam "no". Also depends on the oil you are running...most if not all racing oils already have enough ZDDP in them.

Scott

I was under the assumption that if you're running a oil with this logo on the bottle . . .
HRDP_0606_08_s+flat_tappet_cam_tech+industry_spec_label.jpg

. . . . on an engine with flat tappet lifters, then yes you need a ZDDP additive.

The Motor is stock and I will be using Mobil 1.

100% stock Mobil 1 by itself is fine...add it if it makes you feel good...certainly won't hurt but probably not necessary.

How many miles on it? If it hasn't been done yet will probably need valve springs...that's when it becomes a concern. Stock valve springs are junk and fail at pretty low miles. It was common to replace them with 100# springs but now more common to use the beehive style springs. The beehive springs are easier on the valve train and may not need the ZDDP additive? My car had 45k on it and the springs were shot...the valves floated around 3500 rpm. I installed 100# springs and ran it for a while with Mobil 1 and EOS but now just use Valvoline VR1 10W30 racing oil by itself.

Scott

Did the turbo trans ams come stock with a roller cam? Because thats the only way you dont need zddp. Any car with a flat tappet no matter what the spring pressure should use zddp so you dont eat a cam and kill a motor. I think i remember reading on a dealership brosure that the turbo ta came equiped with a roller cam. I own a 3500 mile tta and use a bottle of zddp every time i change the oil in the car just for extra security.

Did the turbo trans ams come stock with a roller cam? Because thats the only way you dont need zddp. Any car with a flat tappet no matter what the spring pressure should use zddp so you dont eat a cam and kill a motor. I think i remember reading on a dealership brosure that the turbo ta came equiped with a roller cam. I own a 3500 mile tta and use a bottle of zddp every time i change the oil in the car just for extra security.

The brochure do state a roller cam but they came with a standard flat tapped cam ...

Thanks Jan. well because the tta is equipped with a flat tappet you should use zddp every time you change your oil.