ZF-6 in a TTA?

TTA_1422

Could this be a possibility? I know they put the ZF-6 the 91-92 firehawk, but i have no idea what provisions had to be made or if it would even mate up to Buick V6. I assume a custom cross-member and probably a shorter drive shaft? Anybody have some input?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes it is. GM did it back in 89' on a test car. It did not work to well. From what I remember in the mag. article, engine was modded, car would run 190+, but was slower in the 1/4 than stock.

Originally posted by 1BADDAM
Yes it is. GM did it back in 89' on a test car. It did not work to well. From what I remember in the mag. article, engine was modded, car would run 190+, but was slower in the 1/4 than stock.

what he said...

Yes it is possible to do!A person would probably have to design and fabricate the parts to do the swap.There were very few 3rd gen firehawks and only one 6spd TTA.I would like to drive one though just out of curiosity.1/4 mi probably suffer as the turbo would have to spool in each gear for sure but sounds like it would be lots of fun:D !!!!

This is TTOP350 and I have seen the car at T/A NATS in dayton OHIO last year 2 words BAD AZZ it has a roll cage and ZF:cool:

This car was put together (the 6spd TTA ) for a specific reason. That was for a top speed run). It did it's job VERY WELL. To ask anout 1/4 mile times and speeds is not applicable here. That vehicle has earned it's place among the greats in the 80"s The corvette counterpart could'nt even come within 15 MPH of the ZF-TTA.
TURBOTA>

Man, I'd love to do that to my TTA. I wonder how hard that really is...

(road race instructor, but not with the TTA ;-))

Originally posted by turbota
That "test car" is alive and well, and living in Michigan. Turbota
I saw that car at the GM exhibit at Woodward a couple years ago, is it part of the GM collection or does someone own it?

Not certain of this..... but I believe it is still owned by Pontiac.Somebody here knows this answer.

Turbota..do you have any links to specific info..I'd love to do some reading/research..just curious as to its history..

The 6 speed car was at the Dayton TA nats last year. I ended up taking a ton of pictures, including under the hood. GM ownes it, and it looks great to this day.

Brent

Originally posted by tta583
The 6 speed car was at the Dayton TA nats last year. I ended up taking a ton of pictures, including under the hood. GM ownes it, and it looks great to this day.

Brent
Throw em up on the web if you can, with all the crap my 200 has given me a swap doesn't sound like too bad of an idea :D

ZF6

There is a local guy in the St Pete area who did this to his 88 GTA and he goes to our track here in Bradenton.
It looks completely stock, and he still uses the same center console.
I asked some questions about it, and he said setting up the peddles was the hardest part.
He went from automatic to 6-speed, and modified his crossmember for it to fit.
If I remember right he got most of his info from the 3rd gen.org site.

Ken

DONT DO IT!!!

Not a good idea, 6 spds are good for mild fast and light cars, ....I've broken three of them and on my fourth now in our supercharged TA. TH400/brake time....

I've broken shafts, gears, sliders, cases, scattered clutches....just about every component in these things....even an upgraded one we built with viper guts.....some fellas go fast with them...but can only make 2-3 passes tile it comes apart.

LeNcO :eek: :D