Zoysia. How to get rid of it and save my fescue?

gn1220

I bought my house from my Grandparents back in '99. Prior to that, they lived here since 1961 and in the late '70's early '80's my Grandpa began plugging zoysia into the yard. Well, over time, the whole yard was zoysia and it looked great. Stood up to the heat, chocked out all of the weeds, we loved it. But in '97-'98 we began having problems with the zoysia dying. Thought it was grubs but wasn't. Talked to many different "pros" and the two most common responses were: "It has a lifespan and it is at the end, must be replaced." and "It's a brown patch disease." Well, I replaced a LOT of sod and it ended up dead too. Some of my neighbors had the same problem and replaced their yards with fescue. Quiters, I called them. I was going to win. I lost.
Spring of '99 I had a bobcat scrape off all of the zoysia, down to the dirt and seeded with a macho fescue mix. I love it!! But now, I have big areas where the zoysia is coming back. I've been told that the only way to get rid of it is to spray the ENTIRE yard with Roundup and start over. I say there has to be a better way. Some kind of product that will just get rid of the zoysia and not harm my fescue but, as of yet, I can't find such a product. I have a lot of time and money in my yard and I would hate to kill it all. I planned on putting in a sprinkler system next year but, if I have to start over, that will be a no go. Can someone please help?

Hmmmm. If I wasn't at college I would definitely be able to help you directly. I worked at a lawn and garden center for 2 years selling chemicals, fertilizers, grass seed, and such. We didn't do a lot with zoiysa grass, but I believe we had at least one product on our shelf that would kill your zoiysa that wasn't a burn down type product (round-up).

The best I can do from here is give you their number.

(920) 361-4854

It's in Berlin Wisconsin, so call at your own discretion(long distance charges and such), but they should be helpful and look up anything if they even need to. Your best bet is to get the actual name of the active ingredient (as product brand names will certainly vary) and try and match that up with something locally.

The other option would be to go to a Home Depot or something similar and just start reading chemical labels to see what will work best.

You may also want to find out whether you would be better off spraying now or in the spring. Some of the harder to kill grasses you are better off spraying in the spring when the grasses are still young and tender. Your best would likely be to spray now (depending on if you've gotten any rain lately) and in the spring. You're better off spraying if it has rained lately.

Anyway, sorry this post has gotten so long. If you do decide to call, you may be better off not telling them you are from Kansas or they'll think you're a psycho. Sorry I couldn't help personally.

I've just completed digging up 30 wheelbarrow fulls of crabgrass/johnson grass. I dug down 3-6" and removed dirt and all. Refilled the holes with topsoil (3 yards worth). Now in my backyard, I chose not to do this because it's not so visible. I spot sprayed with MSMA, a weedkiller. It took several days to kill it. The brand I found locally is FertiLome. The product is called Crabgrass, Nutgrass and Dallis Grass Killer. It lists Zoiysa also. Their recommended mix is weak; I 4x'd it and it worked.

The rest of my yard is creeping red fescue and I like it so I plan to replant the same or maybe a sun/shade mix.

84GNTTYPE, thank you very much, I will call tomorrow. I was going to spray it all with Roundup but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I knew there had to be a way.
After I noticed the zoysia coming back last fall, I sprayed the spots in the front and back with Roundup, waited two weeks and put down fescue seed and starter. I thought all would be well but I swear the zoysia is thicker than ever! At that time, before applying the Roundup, a few lawn and garden people told me killing is the only way to get rid of zoysia because the roots can get as deep as 18"!! So when I had it scraped off, I was just helping the zoysia get stronger!
Don't get me wrong, when the zoysia was healthy it looked great. But now, with the fescue, I like having a green yard all year long, not just a few months out of the year.

John, I spot sprayed last fall but to do it now would wipe out about 1/4 of my yard! The bad thing is that my neighbors have zoysia so it will just come back next year. That's why I need something that I can continue to put down year after year to keep my fescue zosia free.:D Thanks for the help!!!

concrete- thats what made my yard look alot better;)

wished i knew alot more bout grass to help you out-
but if you need a bobcat in the future, i run, operate, and fix em like no bodies business-

just let me know when you need the full lot swimming pool, and i can bring in the heavy machinery dig out the lot, and you wont need grass anymore:D

84GNTTYPE, I called and they said the only thing they could suggest would be Roundup the whole yard and start over.:(

Bryan, I like my grass but I do want a new driveway. Maybe you could put your skills to work removing that.:D

I'll try Scott's

I did call The Grass Pad and they have a product called "Turf Lawn Ester" that they say will rid my yard of the zoysia. I'll try that and see how it works.:)

Be prepared to be killing your neighbors grass also. It is very possible that the grass from your yard has migrated to theirs..

I love my zoysia and it "traveled" under my hedges into my neighbors yard and now where he had a ton of weeds he now has a nice yard...lol

I was digging in my flower bed one day and dug down about 1.5ft and saw zoysia runners going under my porch..

OMG!!!! My Gramps went Crazy with ZOYA..
It would turn yellow real fast! He actually painted it with
Green paint :D

I would say you got to get a tractor & rip everything out.