ZQ8 front brakes?

mygrain

unregistered
I know these trucks have bigger rotors and two piston calipers. Ive searched around a bit but I have not found whether they bolt up with no other mods or not. So if I were to go and grab the complete spindle with the whole brake set up, would it bolt up with no major issues? I already know about the B body spindle swap and its not very appealing to me due to the way it slows down the steering response.:)

Originally posted by mygrain
I know these trucks have bigger rotors and two piston calipers. Ive searched around a bit but I have not found whether they bolt up with no other mods or not. So if I were to go and grab the complete spindle with the whole brake set up, would it bolt up with no major issues? I already know about the B body spindle swap and its not very appealing to me due to the way it slows down the steering response.:)

You'll probably find they're a 5x5 pattern.

Just go with the 02 Camaro set up if you want 12s, or the vette setup for 13s.
I'm running *just* the 02 Camaro brakes, and they're incredible.

Some related reading.

http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5806
http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5511
http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6220

Maybe I should have clarified, the ZQ8 option is availible only on late model S 2wd series trucks. They all utilize the 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern. I have access to these parts for a reasonable price. Im not exactly thrilled about mounting calipers to dust shield brackets. Basically, if Im doing a front brake swap, I want to use all factory GM parts or their direct replacements. The front brakes are 70% of a cars stopping power. I dont trust back yard engineering when it comes to my personal safety.;)

Originally posted by mygrain
Im not exactly thrilled about mounting calipers to dust shield brackets.
Basically, if Im doing a front brake swap, I want to use all factory GM parts or their direct replacements.
I dont trust back yard engineering when it comes to my personal safety.

The holes are enlarged to a diameter larger then the caliper retaining bolts. The area they bolt into is where the caliper braking loads are placed into the spindles.

I can understand what you're saying, but the only part that's not GM is the caliper mounting plate.

Your concept of swapping just the spindles can also be called back yard engineering. :)
But, whatever makes you happy is the best answer.

I might mention that I will be using the 02 S-10 rotors for my 02 Camaro hubs. In mock-up things look fine. The difference in rotors seem to be, that the S-10s have the tone ring for the ABS.
I'm going to attempt to make an active Traction Control set-up, FWIW.

The rotors are the same 10.5x1's like the stock GN ones.

I have a GN spindle, that I'm going to take to the yard, and see how close the S-10 spindle looks to be. Trouble is we have alot of rain in the forecast.

The regular ZQ8 brakes aren't really any different than the stock G Body brakes (single piston calipers). The pickup spindles are the same too. If you want the better S10 brakes then look for the ones from a 98+ 2WD BLAZER, these are 2 piston calipers and use a 10.75" rotor. They also use a bigger, sealed, bearing that's more expensive but I've seen them used to mount the C5 rotors with a custom bracket for the C5 caliper. The Blazer rotors aren't a lot bigger (+ ~.25") but you'll have a little better clamping force on the rotors. One of the members at montecarloss.com (JayD) used them on his Monte. The only mod he made was to grind down the stops on the LCA to clear the bigger calipers.