'00 SS camaro rear end

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
i can pick up a rear end from an '00 camaro for $100. works great and has low miles. 10 bolt has 7 5/8 ring gear, exciters for the disc brakes, etc. would this rear end happen to bolt right up into an 87 GN? or would i be able to take the guts/pumpkin out and put it into our rear ends?
anyone ever do this?
:cool:

Not only will it not even come close to fitting in a GN, it is a glass jaw rear end. The 8.5 that came in your car is a pretty stout piece, why would you want to change it?

And no, none of the parts are interchangeable from the 7.5 to the 8.5.

i have a peg leg and had my fingers crossed hoping i could get a cheap posi unit

Yeah its a weak POS! Buy it and sell it for $400 to someone who could use it.

The 7.5 rear is pretty weak. It's not made of glass like some would have you think, but it is considerably weaker than the 8.5 in the TR cars.

My 99 Trans-Am cut high 1.6's low 1.7's with a six speed manual for about 2 seasons with the 7.5 ten bolt. Once I started getting the car to really work, and get into the low 1.6 territory, I started breaking ring and pinion sets.

A friend of mine has an 98 Formula that cuts 1.5's on the 7.5 ten bolt. His car is an auto though, so it loads the rear and doesn't shock it as badly as the stick does in my T/A.

With the Buick being an auto, I would think the 7.5 would be adequate as long as you weren't making any real power. If the car was making less than 450 RWTQ, I don't think you would have a problem.

None of the guts will interchange from one pumpkin to the next, but you might be able to swap the whole thing, from brake to brake. I don't know what all would be involved, but it might be worth looking into. You'd come out with the disc brakes in the back too.

If all you have is the Zexel or Torsion center section, you'll never get more than $100 for it from the F-body guys. SLP sells the factory posi unit from the F-bodies for $100, so not much of a market there for the stockers.

Good luck, let us know if you decide to undertake the complete swap!

Yeah, there are a few guys getting lucky with the 7.5 in F bodies, but they break very easy. I destroyed 2 of them in my stockish LT1 camaro. We're talking maybe 300 horsepower. Broke one from a roll. And the car was never on sticky tires.

neat said:
With the Buick being an auto, I would think the 7.5 would be adequate as long as you weren't making any real power. If the car was making less than 450 RWTQ, I don't think you would have a problem.
Not too many guys on here would have one thats less than 450 RWTQ. Thats easily achievable with the stock turbo and 20-22psi boost. Buick chose the 8.5 for a reason.

My 83 originally was equipped with a 7.5", but I swapped the entire drivetrain from the donor car. Thank god I did so, as these are a weak sister.

for $75 bucks you can buy a spool, ive had mine on for 3 years and it never fails. its better than getting that rear end, their really weak.

After a mild upgrade of a chip and Injectors, I broke my stock rear-end. It looked like a sack of quarters when I opened the rear housing. Keep in mind the turbo motors on these things make goobs of torque when done right. IMO a 7.5 would last you about 3 days before you start free-wheeling...