1.77 valves, where to purchase and what length?

Roc87

11 Second V6
Having 1.77" valves put in my 8445 ported heads and need to know length and if any vendors carry them?

I don't know of any vendors that carry them. I got mine years ago from flatlanderracing. I think there's a guy on ebay selling them cheaper (or free shipping, or something) named 'falcon racing' or falcon somethingoranother.

On the Ferrea's, the length is the length. The only choice is stock intake of O/S 1.77 intakes. (and there's no reason to get stock 1.7's if you're doing a valve job)

Manley also makes V6 stainless valves. 11504-6 for 1.775 intakes and 11503-6 for the 1.50 exhausts. These will cost you 260.00 from Summit. I have used both, and they are both fine. The stem length is the same as stock. Go with the Ferrea's on E-Bay. They are cheaper.

Thanks guys! Wanted some champion aluminums, but not going to wait on the backorder

Amazon.com is where I just bought a set of Ferrea's for cheaper than some sell Chinese valves for. (They were made in Argentina). Nice valves.

I finally got into the habit of checking Amazon thinking they were poised to eclipse Ebay.... and now they have to charge 7% tax in GA.... so much for that now :(

Thanks guys! Wanted some champion aluminums, but not going to wait on the backorder

TA Performance has lots of turbo Buick engine parts including alum heads which are in stock and can be finished to your specs in a week or 2.

There is nothing wrong with the ported irons... you wont gain much if anything with the aluminums

If that statement is based upon your personal experience, you did something wrong?

If you are repeating what you have heard on the internet from the "know nothings", they are mis-informed.

From the many sets of alum heads I have installed there is ALWAYS a gain going from ported irons to out-of-the-box alum heads with no other change as I have seen over .5 ths. improvement at the track, and much better performance on the street.

A set of well ported iron heads will be almost $1500, and a new set of alum heads will cost $1800 or less, no better HP gain for the buck since HP is all about air flow!

If that statement is based upon your personal experience, you did something wrong?

If you are repeating what you have heard on the internet from the "know nothings", they are mis-informed.

From the many sets of alum heads I have installed there is ALWAYS a gain going from ported irons to out-of-the-box alum heads with no other change as I have seen over .5 ths. improvement at the track, and much better performance on the street.

A set of well ported iron heads will be almost $1500, and a new set of alum heads will cost $1800 or less, no better HP gain for the buck since HP is all about air flow!

No Disrespect .. but it depends on the Irons ... I can't make generalized statements like the aluminum head will make X over a ported iron ... especially nothing as bold as .5 .. maybe the iron headed car you saw that on didn't optimize the iron heads or the porter sucked ??

it also depends on where you are starting from .. if your IRon headed car runs 140's then sure I can see your point .. truth be told ... plenty of 9-10 second cars running ported Irons.

and I could care less what the " know nothings" report as I use my own findings and have seen MANY GN1 Alum headed cars that cant run faster then hi 10's ...... for a mid to upper 10 second car .. going aluminum when you already have a decent set of ported Irons is a WASTE. Not to mention all the issues ive seen with guides and casting porosity .
How many guys have GN1's with Champion intakes and all the trimmings and still run 10.80's ! It aint the parts and much better places to spend the money then dumping $2K in aluminum heads that they can't come close to using.

And I disagree ... $1800 in Aluminum heads is NOT the best bang for the buck on these cars .... $500 in a E85 conversion is !

The ported irons I have are just the stock heads that have been worked by the guy that did the heads on the "Fastest 3000gt in the nation", Dynamic Racing. Just with all the $ going into the block & bottom end, I don't want to skimp on a necessity. I know the cam is small, but I hope the turbo makes up for that, hope to get a mid 10 on e85 in the thin air/high altitude. (Yes, the 80#'s may be a little small, but I just sent an ecm to Bob so I could run some 120#'s later on"

I have seen very little performance gain going aluminum heads over well ported irons. One of my guys went with aluminum heads, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler and picked up .2 and 4 mph. He himself has said the heads did nothing. Then went on to crack two sets, but that is a whole other story that has been beaten to death. With that being said.....I still would rather have someone buy a set of aluminum heads instead of me standing at the porting bench for 15-20 hours making an iron head work well.

I would tend to believe the statement made by someone who has way more experience than many of you. ( combined)
someone who has built probably 10 -20x more cars/motors than many of you,
someone who has ties to testing and evaluation equipment, way beyond what many of you have.
someone who is R&D for THE ultimate Buick aftermarket parts provider.
someone who has NO rival for experience in Turbo Buick building.
but then, some of you never listen,

so do as you see fit,

hows that for a Sunday morning sermon?

And I disagree ... $1800 in Aluminum heads is NOT the best bang for the buck on these cars .... $500 in a E85 conversion is !
I'll assume you're comparing the power of a low boost 93 octane setup to the power output of the same engine on a high boost E85 setup. The 93 octane motor will also make a lot more power with high octane gasoline and high boost. There's not an actual need to buy a fuel pump,chip and injectors to make more power in this situation. High octane gasoline would allow the production of more power.

It's not fuel that we need to make power. It's more and more oxygen that we must get into the engine so we can burn more fuel to make more power. Sooner or later your combo is maxed out. The one and only thing that we must do before any more power can be produced is get more oxygen into the engine. In our world we accomplish this with heads,cam,and turbo.

There are five major reasons to buy aluminum heads. They are strength,efficiency,cooling, air flow,and weight. It is,however,air flow that will allow the production of more power.
If we purchase the $1,800.00 set of heads instead of the $1,500.00,we are only spending $300.00 more than we would have and we end up with five positive benefits. It's a pretty good bang for the buck.