12sec goals 4 grudge match

84buickregal

I jsut finished the resto aspect of my car & now i am trying to sort out the performance aspect of the car. 1st off what parts can i buy used that arent really wear items? 2nd im on a budget so id doubt i can afford a high profile build. Whats the concensus of the dutt neck? Rjc plate? boxed u/lca

My car is pretty much stock, but my goal is to atleast do low 12s. I have some local ricer burners that unfortunatly have some pretty quic rides & i cant allow them to beat me in this grudge match. 2 guys have v8 Rx7s one guy has a turbo chevy cobalt and they want my blood. All I have is 235/60/15 tires, new rear spring, airlift bags in the rear, Kn cone filte, turbo tweak chip(not installed), test pipe, (still need an exhaust), 160 deg thermo, walbro 340 fuel pump w/ a hot wire kit, autometer boost gauge and new valve springs in the cylinder heads when i did my head gaskets and timing chain, 60lb injectors(not installed).If anyone is interested here is a build up of my ride. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/me...mily/331675-84-buick-regal-limited-build.html

Sounds like a good start. I'd say get an alky kit and turn up the boost. An aftermarket downpipe would also be a good upgrade.

Install the 60's and TT chip for them and either get Razor's alky or run race gas so you can turn up the boost. Think of it this way, 4 tanks of 100-110 GT is about $500 so you might as well get alky and have a long term solution. Before lower control arms, an RJC boost controller is all you'd need to go 13's at 17 psi boost with what you have now. I've gone 13.25 with 235 60 street tires trapping 103-104 back in the day on pump gas. But alky and better tires would really help you go deep 12's.

The first item I would purchase is a ScanMaster you need to see what is going on inside your motor and you need a way to see if you have any knock issues,I wouldn't tune without one you can cause a lot of damage and not know it until its to late,it is a very important tool to have for these cars.You also need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to set the fuel pressure to 43lbs line off per instructions of the TT chip.Install your 60's and TT chip.You can either port out the stock DP elbow or you can buy a 3" DP your choise, as for intercooler I would get a Dutt neck stock intercooler,in my opinion it works awesome with a stock turbo.Do a spring cleaning(fuel filter,plugs,PVC, make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks especially pre turbo ect.)You can do a search for the Spring Cleaning here on TurboBuick.Then get the car running good on 93oct and tune for no knock with about 16-18lbs of boost,some cars tolerate more or less boost.Then I would think about Razor's alky kit so you can run more boost on pump gas,its a cheaper alternative to running higher octane fuels and diffidently pays for itself.Just remember what makes these cars fast is not just one bolt on performance part its the whole package(turbo,torque converter,intercooler,heads,ect.) good luck,ikle.

I jsut finished the resto aspect of my car & now i am trying to sort out the performance aspect of the car. 1st off what parts can i buy used that arent really wear items? 2nd im on a budget so id doubt i can afford a high profile build. Whats the concensus of the dutt neck? Rjc plate? boxed u/lca

My car is pretty much stock, but my goal is to atleast do low 12s. I have some local ricer burners that unfortunatly have some pretty quic rides & i cant allow them to beat me in this grudge match. 2 guys have v8 Rx7s one guy has a turbo chevy cobalt and they want my blood. All I have is 235/60/15 tires, new rear spring, airlift bags in the rear, Kn cone filte, turbo tweak chip(not installed), test pipe, (still need an exhaust), 160 deg thermo, walbro 340 fuel pump w/ a hot wire kit, autometer boost gauge and new valve springs in the cylinder heads when i did my head gaskets and timing chain, 60lb injectors(not installed).If anyone is interested here is a build up of my ride. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/me...mily/331675-84-buick-regal-limited-build.html

Where are you located? Where do you plan to race? When do you plan to race?

First off, how much do you have to spend? I'm sure there are a lot of people here that will agree that $$$$ is the only magic part for these cars;)

should be no problem to run low 12's with plenty of fuel,and everything else stock! my buddy's
T Type went 12.20's bone stock,with blue tops and fuel pump and an air filter,and a good chip. All else was stock!

Thanx ikle, BIGPSI, TurboTnZ06, Pittsburghkid! So the general consencus is alky kit(+ boost), aftermarket downpipe or port stock DP elbow (what kind of gains can i expect?), dutt neck, adj fuel press reg & wastegate( are there any home made ones i can make), scan master & Slicks? What if i run race gas + Alky

jasjamz-I'm in North east Pa, & i plan to race in the spring @ Englishtown. One of the v8 Rx7's is turboed but only running around 5 psi. The other v8 Rx7 is around a 12.6 & the turboed cobalt is making around 380hp. I used to beat up on them when the were all running hondas/low level imports & yrs later they want my blood. BLOOD!

usetaboost-I have around 1000 to spend, not very much at all.

All I have is 235/60/15 tires, new rear spring, airlift bags in the rear, Kn cone filte, turbo tweak chip(not installed), test pipe, (still need an exhaust), 160 deg thermo, walbro 340 fuel pump w/ a hot wire kit, autometer boost gauge and new valve springs in the cylinder heads when i did my head gaskets and timing chain, 60lb injectors(not installed).

Id, buy:
Slicks 27x9
Race Gas C-16- 10 gallons
Scanmaster
RJC power plate and RJC boost control or similar device to get the boost up high.
disconnect the front sway bar
Get the tune right with the parts you have added. Practice one day the track is not too crowded.

What if i run race gas + Alky

Not necessary. They're both there to do the same basic thing. Eliminate knock.

For you goals and your 1k you should just get the alky kit $500-600 and turn up the boost. Look for a used Dp 3" is plenty (internal or external gate) $300-500. Slicks or streets would be nice but if your just racing on the street and don't have much left to spend just get a wider radial like a 265 and just eas into it off the line (say 0 Boost) til you know you can hook. That should get your well into your 12.6 goal and be plenty to take on a cobalt or rx-7. If you want to go with streets or slicks to save money you can just have the stock elbow ported out. But do not turn up the boost til you have some type of knock guage. Scanmaster would be the best way to go there.

10 yrs of holdin it down

okay every1 thanks 4 the help, when i get a chance ill post up some links of the comps cars. I really gotta beat these guys since its like an domestic vs the import world(even tho both the rx7s are running SBC, go figure) match! These guys have been @ me for 10yrs, now in 2011 they finally have something formidable. They all have a better budget and more resources than me (im a PT employed college student). I level the playing field by doing most of my own work but i cant deny the reality; these cats parent give them $$$. Here' s the basic kit both RX7s are running: http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/

Here is the turbo v8 rx7 www.youtube.com/"BackyardTurbo" - B00sted Banana
93 RX7 01 LS1 T76 Turbo All custom build, nothing bought!!! HP Speed Density BYT Tune! 409/416 5psi 434/450 6psi 468/482 7psi

I'll look around and see if i can snag a used scan master.

1.what kinda gains can i expect in the aftermarket 3" downpipe vs the port stock DP elbow?
2. I plan to run slicks & we are supposed to be doing this @ the track.

Not to be an instigator here, but if he's running a turbo LS1 in a Rx7, you are going to need to bring a much bigger gun to the fight than you are talking. That's likely a pretty stout lil car. LS1's are no joke, and a turbo'd one could be pretty serious.

I would think unless his settup is crap, you are going to need 12 flat or even high elevens to have him covered.

Just my lousy 2 cents worth :D

4 words that don't belong in the same sentence, are "grudge race" and "12 seconds" :p (technically 12 isn't even a word :biggrin:)

Anyways, Im in perkasie if you need a hand with anything.

Hey, make the Turbo RX7 keep his street tires on. That may help ya with him. He makes good power for what he weighs. The race fuel may be safer than alky at this point. The other cars may not take too much to beat them

Just keep it friendly. No need to blow your wad on it being that you're in school in all. Plenty of time to make money and play with the toys after you're done.

Do the best you can with ur car and go get 'em! If your a good driver thats half the battle right there and if u do get beat it probably won't be by that much anyways.....And if they dare talk bad about our lil' Buicks...let me know :cool: I'm in the northeast too and have always loved eating rice....Now go spend some money like they did :D

It will be a fight!

It would seem the turbo rx7 is the biggest threat but in actuality its the turbo cobalt driver im worried about. The guy is a great driver, started a shop(backyardturbo), very intellegent & has good resources. Oh forgot to add that his pops handed him down a sucessful computer programing bussiness. His turbo cobalt runs in the 12s. YouTube - Friday Night at Island, 12.68 run

The kid with the turbo Rx7 has incredible power to weight ratio but i cant imagine it will be easy to get a stock suspensioned 2800lb, turbo ls1 rx7 to hook on street tires even @ only 5psi. anyways as promise here is his link. YouTube - BackyardTurbo - B00sted Banana

The n/a v8 rx7 is the least threat since he isnt as wealthy as the other two & i currently running a stock lt1
They dont know what im running, so i have a slight advantage.

Madmax69-i doubt he will be able to hook, plus he is running a relatively stock ls1 (high compression) so his boost is only @ around 5psi.

DailyDrifter-good i have some 215 friends =)

TurboTnZ06-his car WILL def be able to do it, once its set up correctly, but as of now he is still running a stock rear so he isnt gonna be able to hook up unless he runs slicks.

jasjamz-lmao, good excuse in case i lose ;)

Firechaser- They call my buick the soap box, the brick & old mans car. I might have to hold you to that offer bro.