15X8, 15X9 OR 15X10 for street / strip. need tips

ttribejr

I am looking at a set of wheels. All of those sizes, the only backspace choice is 3.5 or 4.5"

I currently run 275/60/15 drag radials. Probably stick with this size. I want the wheel and tire to tuck a little.

Any tips? Looks like no matter what size I get, the 4.5" B/S is probably going to be the best?

Car is stock suspension, no frame notch, etc. I have stock wheels right now, stock drums and a spacer on the passenger side.

15x9 4.5 bs would fit perfect. 15x10 with a 4.5 bs wont tuck.

how about the front. Am I crazy to think about driving on 15x4s on the street? These are track rims, but I am thinking I will drive to the local car meets on them,etc. vs 15x5 etc.

There are people that compete in the Drag Week series and use the 15x4 on the front for thousands of miles. I would save mine for the track tho. The front rims cost just as much if not more than the rears now. I run a 15 x 6 on the street and the 15x 3 1/2 at the track. I ruined a Bogart Drag on Fly several years ago on a curve with a pothole.

Last edited:
I ran 15x4s for years, now I have 15x3.5s with MT ET fronts on the street. Being a bias ply, they do wander and grab the road some. I never had an issue. The radials I ran on the 15x4s drove fine, just weighed a lot more.

how about the front. Am I crazy to think about driving on 15x4s on the street? These are track rims, but I am thinking I will drive to the local car meets on them,etc. vs 15x5 etc.

I run 15x3.5 rim with MT Sportsman S/R tire on the front . It's a nice tire ,looks great , no squirm on the street , but not cheap .
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompson/672/6678/10002/-1
DSCN0512.JPG DSCN0511.JPG

Those are Champion Billet wheels. 15x3.5 fronts 15x10 4" bs . My car has a frame notch and narrowed rear end and rolled lip . Also 2" drop spindles & 1" lowering springs in the rear.

Fronts, 3.5" and 4.5" back space will work. The higher the back spacing the more tucked the wheel/tire will sit inside the fender well. IE: closer to the frame. I prefer 3.5" on the front with 7" or 8" wheel and 3.5" on the back, especially if the backs are 15x8.
I have run 4.5" back space on 15x10's with a 28x10.5 size tire, but, the rear end and body must be centered on the frame and either roll the wheel trim, or run dual air bags to keep the wheel trim off the sidewalls on hard launches or severe bumps. Wheel spacers can help if the rear end is not centered, or if the body has shifted on the frame due to lack of body bushings or shot bushings.
If you choose to run a skinny on the street, I highly recommend going with a tire that is a minimum of 27" tall, with 28" being my preference. A 25" or 26" skinny can put the nose too low IMO, especially if the springs are stock and sagging.
Go with a radial if it will be mainly street driven, especially if you've never driven one of these cars with bias ply tires on the front. It can get spooky real quick on sudden stops or quick lane changes. My driving habits are completely different when I'm on bias plies, vs radials on a Buick.
Hope this helps.

-Patrick-