1965 Malibu Hybrid????

Sublime69

Just want to know if any has or knows of anyone who has put a buick turbo v6 in a 65 malibu?

I want to do the swap but I just want to see what and how involved its going to be.

Thanks

There is a guy that was in Hot Rod who put A GN motor in his 64 or 65 Skylark. It was a 2003 0r 2004 article. Should be the same frame (A-body?).

Look in GMHP I think it was in it for some reason I think it was dark green IT was done real nice.

Wish I could remeber exactly but I am sure it was in one of the Hot rod, Car Craft or PHR mags. I do remeber it was black and had Torque Thrust's on it. Pretty much stock appearing but was pulling the front wheels! I think the guy was also really into Buicks, maybe try one of the other sites. It was the only thing in the mag that really stood out to me, otherwise I would have bought it.
I know in one of the picts it was pulling at least one front wheel.

Hey Sublime, I saw your car today sitting outside of the shop. Looked nice and clean, did rednotch wax it for you? :D

Originally posted by DCVING 6
Hey Sublime, I saw your car today sitting outside of the shop. Looked nice and clean, did rednotch wax it for you? :D

Thanks, but no I clean my own cars.

Let me know if you know anyone who wats any thing done. Or stop by sometime.

Later

Are you the last unit in the building? I think PIND is few doors down?

There is a local guy who you may know of that did an 88 Mustang GT with a GN motor. He works on my car and a few of the Under Pressure cars. He may be able to give you some pointers as far as a conversion.
dcving6@aol.com

I am in the second from the last unit.

I am just trying to see if anyone makes a kit or motor mounts to put in a GN motor.

It dosnt seem like there is. I am probably just going to put an LS1 in it. They make everything i need to do it.

Id second on talking to "flyingv6mustang" or whatever his name is on here... ;) Of course , get used to hearing "that downpipe is the size of my head" if you try street racing it w/ GN motor... :eek:

My dad has a 65 SS that came with a 230 in line 6 and powerglide. I tried talking him in to a LC-2 swap but he decided on small block power instead. He has kept it original for a while since it is a rare SS but Im glad he us finally chabgibg it to something with power so I can have some fun with it!! I almost had him talked into The in line 6 that came in the trail blazer because it is fuel injected and it hauls booty in our trail blazer!!

Maybe if you do it and post some pics I could get him to reconsider!!

:D

Originally posted by sixnboost
My dad has a 65 SS that came with a 230 in line 6 and powerglide. I tried talking him in to a LC-2 swap but he decided on small block power instead. He has kept it original for a while since it is a rare SS but Im glad he us finally chabgibg it to something with power so I can have some fun with it!! I almost had him talked into The in line 6 that came in the trail blazer because it is fuel injected and it hauls booty in our trail blazer!!

Maybe if you do it and post some pics I could get him to reconsider!!

:D

I am probably going to do an LS1 swap in it, for the money its the best way to go.

Best Bang for Buck = LC2

I am in the process of putting an LC2 in my 96 Impala SS.
I also have a 65 Malibu SS that I was considering an LC2 swap and I might do it yet.
As far as the best way to go for your money, I can't see any better deal than the LC2.
I just got a low mileage motor, transmission and wiring harness for $1200.
Add maybe $2000 for used turbo, intercooler, injectors, driveshaft, and in a lightweight 65 Malibu you will have a low 11 second car that gets close to 30 mpg.
As far as the engine mounts, you can lower the LC2 (with stock Buick engine mounts) into the Malibu engine compartment (after removing stock malibu mounts), bolt the 2004r in place, line up the trans with the malibu trans cross member or line up the engine so there's enough room between the firewall and engine, and mark the holes that need to be drilled to bolt the buick mounts in place.
If you can't modify the wiring harness yourself, you can get one from Caspers for around $700, but adapting a stock Buick harness to the malibu is not difficult if you read the buick service manual. I was not looking forward to the wiring harness part but it actually is turning out to be the easiest and most educating part of the project. If you figure out the wiring harness yourself, it will be much easier to understand the entire system and diagnose problems in the future.
There is a picture of the green skylark at the GSCA website, I'll try to find it and post a link.
There are actually 2 skylarks with this mod, 1 is blue and 1 is green.

a used LS1 out of an F-body will set you about atleast $3500 if not more for just the engine then you need the harness and computer. Then the real fun begins as the LS1 will not fit into much of anytyhing with major surgery to either the crossmember or the oilpan. You also have to deal with loads of sensors that the LS1 uses that won't be available on a classic platform and the computer reprograming since it does not use EPROMS so you have to plug the computer in and reflash the ECM itself not swap a chip. The transmission also is of concern since the LS1 has a specific bolt pattern so you will need to convert whatever you have to a new tranny with the correct pattern be it 4L60E, 4L65E (GMPP crate tranny), or T56. While I'll admit the LS1 is cool, if you're doing it for purely money reasons, do the LC2 for as much money you can get more power, more WOW factor and not have to cut crap up to make it fit.

Just my thoughts on it

Personally I like all Hybrids, and I do like LS1's , a great engine, just I have a surplus of turbo parts, and my S10 has been itchen for a 4.1,lol. The 87 GN engine was getting tired also. Ha how much do those LS1's weigh ? Im just curious. I like weight saving tricks myself if anyone has any.