You can type here any text you want

2" Drop, do I need adjustable rear upper control arms?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VtheGNMan

I have a question on lowering and rear suspension geometry. This winter I plan on dropping my GN 2" and I have Beltech spindles to accomplish this up front. I am womdering if I need to have adjustable upper control arms to correct the new position in the rear? I am just planning on 2" drop springs to accomplish the drop in the rear. There is lots of direction/instruction for the front bu not too much on the rear. I will taking off the stock arms and boxing them in this drop also.

The 2" drop spindles are really not recommended anymore as today's technology in aftermarket suspensions have come much further with much better geometry correction...

Lowering a car can be done Many way's, Some wrong and not recommended and some work fantastic! We like to use Coil overs to accomplish the desired ride height, yes they cost more up front but you don't have to go through the guessing game with coil springs and they can be adjusted later on if your not happy Or you change something, With coil springs you have to buy different ones!....

Having adjustable upper & lower rear control arms help with correcting the pinion angle after lowering the car!

If your interested in a suspension or shocks, right now we are running a 10% off discount on all suspension products!

We have MANY satisfied customers running our recommended suspensions on their GN's without one single complaint in over 4 yrs....

I know there are lots of ways to do it and Scott I know you run a great business and have great products.
I have the spindles and springs already, got them off here of other members at good prices so I have decided to go this route. My question had to with the pinion angle. For a 2" drop do I need adjustable uppers to correct it again or is it still okay? The rear drop probably wont be a full 2" as I want to keep the stance.

I know there are lots of ways to do it and Scott I know you run a great business and have great products.
I have the spindles and springs already, got them off here of other members at good prices so I have decided to go this route. My question had to with the pinion angle. For a 2" drop do I need adjustable uppers to correct it again or is it still okay? The rear drop probably wont be a full 2" as I want to keep the stance.
I understand, no problem! When lowering the car 2" or around that we like to reset the pinion angle......

Thanks Scott for your help. Are you resetting the pinion angle due to additional stress in daily driving conditions or for when raced and it squats even more? Are you looking to keep the drive shaft coming into the rear end straight? Its the only way I can think to describe it. So on a lowered car do you have to lengthen or shorten the top arm to get correct the pinion angle?

Subscribed. I am currently running the Belltech 2" drop spindles. The rest of the suspension is stock except for air bags on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question on lowering and rear suspension geometry. This winter I plan on dropping my GN 2" and I have Beltech spindles to accomplish this up front. I am womdering if I need to have adjustable upper control arms to correct the new position in the rear? I am just planning on 2" drop springs to accomplish the drop in the rear. There is lots of direction/instruction for the front bu not too much on the rear. I will taking off the stock arms and boxing them in this drop also.

How fast is your car? Goals?

Well I am glad I am not the only one wondering this! Thanks for subscribing Bill. My car has never seen the strip so I dont have #s on how fast it is. I just drive it and enjoy as weather allows. Occassionaly it gets street raced. I want to feel comfortable saying its a 13 sec or high 12s car. Especially when I get the new turbo in it, I think I am close.
I wanted to ask about the pinion angle and adjustable uppers to make sure I am not causing a problem down the road due to unnecessary stress being created. If I need adjustable uppers, I ll get them, if I dont I ll box in lowers and uppers, replace bushings and be done. I am upgrading one thing at a time, trying to do it smart and on a budget.

I just done 2" drop spindles with a 1" shorter spring up front with 14" 150lb coil over springs in stock location. This is it with no engine. With 275/60 on back. But going to get the rear down about 1" more.

Attachments

• 1418159318959.jpg
    1418159318959.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 152
I installed my spindles way back and 88. I love the stance of the car with 26" drag radials. Not so much with the 28" tire. I drive mine on the street and am a weekend warrior at the drag strip. Car runs low 11's with a consistent 1.6/60' time. Only has bolt on mods except for new timing set and valve springs.

Well I am glad I am not the only one wondering this! Thanks for subscribing Bill. My car has never seen the strip so I dont have #s on how fast it is. I just drive it and enjoy as weather allows. Occassionaly it gets street raced. I want to feel comfortable saying its a 13 sec or high 12s car. Especially when I get the new turbo in it, I think I am close.
I wanted to ask about the pinion angle and adjustable uppers to make sure I am not causing a problem down the road due to unnecessary stress being created. If I need adjustable uppers, I ll get them, if I dont I ll box in lowers and uppers, replace bushings and be done. I am upgrading one thing at a time, trying to do it smart and on a budget.

I think doing the braces i.e. Under hood, cross bracing from the center frame to the front outer frame and the GNX brace behind rear seats are helpful. With those installed and air bags IMHO feel that our suspension is pretty good. I'm pretty sure tho that with upgrading the suspension my car would probably run high 10 sec. It might even pull the wheels off the ground as it's trying to now.

I think doing the braces i.e. Under hood, cross bracing from the center frame to the front outer frame and the GNX brace behind rear seats are helpful. With those installed and air bags IMHO feel that our suspension is pretty good. I'm pretty sure tho that with upgrading the suspension my car would probably run high 10 sec. It might even pull the wheels off the ground as it's trying to now.

In answering your question I don't think you will see much if any gains by boxing the upper and lower control arms. I would however do the bushings. Unless you plan on racing the car a lot. Imo.

I just done 2" drop spindles with a 1" shorter spring up front with 14" 150lb coil over springs in stock location. This is it with no engine. With 275/60 on back. But going to get the rear down about 1" more.

No offense intended but with no motor in your car it already looks like it's going down hill. Maybe it's just the camera angle idk. Getting the rear down an inch isn't much when the front is gonna go down quite a bit with the motor installed.

Beautiful car btw!

Ya it has little rake but not got where I want yet. I got to get little taller tires for the front and drop the rear about 1". I doing this to staying away from drop springs. Witch isn't good for the track or weight transfer. I want all tires tucked and sitting low without hurting the transfer. But I only have about 650$ in my suspension with trz anti roll, qa1 single adj shocks shocks,springs and drop spend. Front and rear buying at new at used prices for most.

Last edited:
Anymore input on the desired pinion angle or adjustment you are looking to perform with the adjustable upper control arms?

Back