You can type here any text you want

2001 C5 - Was It Stock???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

strikeeagle

I had a little encounter with a C5 convertible, top down, driver only the other night with my GN, windows down, driver and passenger.

It was from about 50 to 100 MPH (who the hell knows, my speedo was quite buried). Pretty much a dead heat. It was a warm night maybe 75 to 80 *. My GN has a 52, a FM, 009s, a ME16 and runs pretty darn well. 100 octane and about 20 PSI.

Was he modded? I don't know whether to feel good or bad about the encounter. I feel pretty comfortable I'd have smoked him out of the hole with equivalent traction, or at the track, where I can run C16 and 25+ PSI...

Thoughts?

:D

Nice run

With your mods, and the amount of boost you were running, my guess is that he was modded. Prolly a dumb question but was it a ZO6?

I had a similar encounter this weekend with a C-5, but we went form 0 to about 50 and I was running 20 psi with my TE-44. I left the light at idle and once I finally stoped spinning, I pulled about 1/2 a car on him in a hurry and then we had to stop for traffic. He turned left at the next light, so I don't think he wanted any more from the GN. :D From what I saw, it had the Z06 type exhaust (Four chrome 4" tips..or are they 5"?) but it wasn't a ZO6. I would have loved to see us go to 85 or so cause my car is running really strong with this tune.

Best part was hearing the guy that was behind us at the next light saying: "Hey man, you just took that vett." :D

Thats right, I forgot about that.

With the mods he has, It wouldn't surprise me if he could stay with a 400 hp vett though.

The C5 probably had some minor bolt-ons (exhaust, airlid, headers, etc.) and keep in mind that from a 50mph roll the Vette has the advantage (especially if it was a 6spd) cause those LS1s scream on the top end!!! Just be happy that he didn't spray you cause I've seen bolt-on LS1s with a 100-150 shot run 120-125mph traps in the 1/4 and from a 50mph roll it would have been ugly:eek:

Originally posted by 86brick
from a 50mph roll the Vette has the advantage (especially if it was a 6spd) cause those LS1s scream on the top end!!! Just be happy that he didn't spray you cause I've seen bolt-on LS1s with a 100-150 shot run 120-125mph traps in the 1/4 and from a 50mph roll it would have been ugly:eek:

Ditto, the LS1 Vettes are BBBAAADDD:cool:

Especially from a roll!

LS1 vettes are fast, kills me everytime. Plus if you put a better type of induction system on them like ram-air and a better air box, it realy wakes them up. My roomate put a ram-air kit, better air box, chip, and Corse exhaust on his 6-speed C5. That thing is really fast....especial from a role.

Chris

He was definately modded. I don't think 'vert C5 with just minor mods would be able to hang.
For reference, I raced a 97 C5 6spd with exhaust when my car was mostly stock (adj. wastegate, test pipe, chip) at 20# boost. We were pretty even until ~60 mph when he started to gain, but he wasn't gaining that fast.
So, I don't think a car with a 51, FM, 20# boost would have trouble with a near stock C5.

I raced a (stock?) C5 at the track. It ran a 13.3. With your mods, I would think he was modifyed.

My typical experience with these c5 guys is you pass them.......they do nothing....traffic slows......they putt by.......you pass them again......they do nothing. Then about 5 minutes later they come up on you.......you figure, why bother..... All of a sudden, they blast by in second gear, then turnoff at the first right. :rolleyes: I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

Since we are on the topic of c5's my friend ran his last nite and went 10.99 @ 125.7 holding new title of fastest 6 speed c5 with stock bottom end non stroker motor in this country!!! Car was done by cartek and it makes 460 rwhp. Watch out for these cartek cars :)

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/bss/c5pig//my10run.jpg

If link doesnt work just copy and paste it to the browser.

Back