301 turbo boost levels

buick83-T

83' T-type
Curious to know what boost others with the 301 turbo are able to see on there 301 upgrade turbo? At what point does it max out and the intake/turbo foot restriction show. I have seen 20 psi on my 83 T-type so far tinkering with it.

Not sure about the 301 turbo, but I have taken my 231 turbo (with larger turbine/compressor impellers) up to 19 psi routinely. This is on race gas.

Not sure about the 301 turbo, but I have taken my 231 turbo (with larger turbine/compressor impellers) up to 19 psi routinely. This is on race gas.
Is that max boost it will see without spark knock on race gas? What octane?

I have a Casper's knock gauge. It has always knocked some here and there. I don't think I've seen a full pass without some knock. :(

I've tried 116 octane, still there. It's not really a lack of octane issue. It's more Air/Fuel ratios during transitions. Either when the secondaries open up or the shifts. I've tired water injection, timing retard with a MSD BTM and other things over the years. Can't ever get rid of it completely. Always just a few lights, but enough to yank too much timing.

I recently fixed some vacuum leaks and now the AFR holds steady at WOT. Found I was running very lean at WOT (I added a wideband O2 sensor last summer). I changed the secondary rods to "CE"s and richened up the mixture to about 11.0:1. Currently running 100 octane with 14 psi boost. Still have some knock at 2-3 shift, but moving in the right direction and it's pulling hard.

There's sum guy from Canada that's been banging his head against the wall for years hopping up his 301. Do a search, he's got a long thread about it. Think it finally got into the 14s. I can still beat it with my bone stock Altima.

Just want to specify mine is the buick v6 drawthru setup with 301 turbo compressor housing..stock 83 t-type .63 turbine housing with upgraded wheels.

For the 301 turbocharger. 24psi is nearly the limit that's 38lbs/min. The map for this compressor wheel tops out at 2.6 pressure ratio (24psi) any running up to that boost and over is producing lots of heat and no more power. You are already experiencing the turbo foot and intake restriction, it starts in the teens of boost and gets worse.