4 inch MAF discovery

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
I just upgraded my MAF setup from a homemade one out of 4 inch PVC Home Depot special to an aluminum 4 inch one that is perfect for the LS7 maf sensor, and this part is cheap at $30: Spectre 9705. The slot LS7 sensor itself I got from full throttle as well as the 5 wire converter and the standard maf translator. It comes with the little screws to attach the sensor so its a nice kit. I set the translator on 4" and the cars spools up even faster than before at part throttle cruising the street. Just ignore the plastic inserts, that's trash and not needed.

865-9705.jpg

Sweet

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

Yeah I kept looking at 4 inch setups and this way you can run a maf still and have a 4 inch intake using the 4 inch pipes already available from vendors. I spent more on the translator than all the other parts in my setup I think, $15 spectre 4/3 step down at the turbo, $30 in industrial high flow reinforced vent tubing off the interwebs, three 4 inch worm clamps, $70 LS7 sensor, $30 sensor tube/mount, used $30 4 inch K&N from the for sale board, $20ish on the 5 wire converter, a $20 caspers temp sensor wire extender, and the $199 translator. All I need to do now is swap my cheap hose for a solid aluminum 4 inch pipe from one of the vendors.

Am I missing something? I have the 85mm z06 maf and it fits perfectly on my 4" pipes

Am I missing something? I have the 85mm z06 maf and it fits perfectly on my 4" pipes

The 4 inch maf is larger than the 85 mm at 100 mm. Just trying for more air and still use the MAF for daily driving with the TT 6.1 chip, as cheap as possible.

Let me know how the drivability is at idle and part throttle.... i have been contemplating using a card style MAF for quite some time and have heard of some people having issues.... THIS IS GREAT NEWS if those are isolated events.

And is that harness on the regular website?
aaron

Let me know how the drivability is at idle and part throttle.... i have been contemplating using a card style MAF for quite some time and have heard of some people having issues.... THIS IS GREAT NEWS if those are isolated events.

And is that harness on the regular website?
aaron

Idles fine, A/C on or off, no problems in drivability part throttle, and at WOT I have the wideband correction mode so the MAF doesn't matter. I called full throttle to order the casper's 5 wire it needed. They'll know what you need.

I have the 4" aluminum intake tube and was contemplating the card style as well to get rid if the MAF with all the adapters and crap. Let us know how this works for sure....

I just upgraded my MAF setup from a homemade one out of 4 inch PVC Home Depot special to an aluminum 4 inch one that is perfect for the LS7 maf sensor, and this part is cheap at $30: Spectre 9705. The slot LS7 sensor itself I got from full throttle as well as the 5 wire converter and the standard maf translator. It comes with the little screws to attach the sensor so its a nice kit. I set the translator on 4" and the cars spools up even faster than before at part throttle cruising the street. Just ignore the plastic inserts, that's trash and not needed.

865-9705.jpg
shot me a pic please not fully understanding

I use a production 4" inlet,Now i'm going to run the radiator hose different (straight pipes, 90* hoses) an get 2 foot long 4" K&N filter ,I get fresh air from a fiberglass air scoop spoiler at speed using the same flex hose above,It fits in the core support hole,XFI so no MAF...8^)

IMG_001610-13-11 ISS.JPG

Enjoy!

I had one of those stick style MAFs which was built into a 4" pipe but it ran like crap. Idle issues, stalling, etc...

I'll need to research this LS7 MAF maybe it's better.

It's the same style sensor used on my GMC and Suburban, so I figured it should work. I heard similar stories when I was trying to locate the 4 inch pipes with the maf built in. The MAF stick is directional, maybe that was the problem? I drove it and it's faster now than before on the street at part throttle. It turned out I had the translator set to 4 inch but it was really in a 3.5 inch pipe so I was running real rich as it though it had more air than it did and my mileage was terrible. I'm hoping this will fix my mileage/rich cruising condition problem too.

the 4" pipe with the element style MAF can suffer from turbulence and eddy-current issues at light throttle and coast-down.

I have a modification I make in the chips to compensate.

Note that the air temperature sensor is different than the GN one, and if you hook it up, it will read incorrectly.

Bob

I blew the governor spring again, once I get the trans fixed I'll do more testing at light throttle and coasting to see if I have any issues. I don't have the air temp in it hooked up, I use the casper's extension for the stock GN/T temp sensor and only have the 5 wire adapter to connect up to the translator for the maf. When I tuned my GMC with HP Tuners, the MAF table even at WOT was hardly reading much air at all. I think the sensor will be fine. I'll report back when I have more data. I can powerlogger record the MAF reading too to see what's happening too.

the 4" pipe with the element style MAF can suffer from turbulence and eddy-current issues at light throttle and coast-down.

I have a modification I make in the chips to compensate.

Note that the air temperature sensor is different than the GN one, and if you hook it up, it will read incorrectly.

Bob

I would be interested in checking that out. I still have the pipe and MAF on my car, just haven't plugged it in for a while.

Finally I got the trans in over the weekend. Drove the car about 30 miles in city traffic so far on this new setup. The 4 inch maf setting in the translator with the LS7 maf and 4 inch spectre adapter have been working perfectly. No cut outs, no idle problems, no stumbles in light cruising and coasting. It may be running tad rich, I will have to hookup the laptop to do some logs next time.

It's nice to see people trying different things with MAF setups. I know speed density can be tuned to have a very well running car, but there is something to be said about just being able to plug all the sensors in and away you drive. Like you I was wanting a 4" setup, but still have a 3" LT1 sensor and the basic translator. I ended up getting the 4" aluminum pipe from RJC and relocating the sensor to the long straight section of up pipe from the front mount to throttle body. Is there a reason people aren't doing blow through setups? I also plugged in the air temp sensor, but just tied it off to the cruise bracket. It was my understanding that the modern chips don't use much data from those anyway. Can someone please clarify?

I had some requests for pics of the adapter I got from Full Throttle for the MAF to the Translator. It looks like it is a straight conversion of Yellow Black Red in that order.

9qh6m4y

8dzr3e2

9lfotxj

Here are the two ends of the adapter, the purple one is to the LS7 sensor and the bottom one is to the translator.

8ojcbfs