You can type here any text you want

72 skylark 3.8 turbo swap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboskylark

hello, i have a 72 skylark with a 455 and a 87 turbo t i want to do a engine swap by putting the v6 turbo in my 72. i haved looked every were and cannot believe i cannot find info on this swap. can any one help me? am i crazy for wanting to do this swap? thanks any ifo would be great.

help!!!!!!

somebody has got to have some kind of info on this swap please somebody give me some advice. thank you

I don't know know all of what you will need, but here are the main parts: Buick 350 frame plates, 3.8 motor mounts, Cross member set up for Th400, Th350 driveshaft, wiring diagrams for both cars and EFI style fuel system and tank. Sorry I can't be of more help but this is all I know. You could try searching (I don't know how much info you'll find) for 68-72 A-body swaps. This includes, Chevelle/El Camino, Skylark, Cutlass, GTO, etc. Hope this helps at all. Tim.

thank you

Thanks for the info, I was planning on going with the 2004r trans. it has been rebuilt with shift kit, I also have the 350 frame mounts,I will be using the rear end and all wiring from my t-type, will the rearend work in my 72? will the headers and down pipe cause a problem, I really wanted to have a/c.I guess I am just going to have to dive in and skin some knuckels,I just want to know if this swap will work and what major problems am I likely to run into.I was told the t-type runs in the 12s, what can I expect the skylark to run ??? any and all info would be very helpful. thanks much!!! pat

as far as what it will run, that depends on what mods your going to throw at the car. dont think of weight as an issue either, my 72 455 skylark and 87 gn weigh in pretty close to the same. i dont think the rear end will work since there is a different catagory for the suspension parts for the 64-72 gm "a" body and the 78-87 gm "g' body. good luck with the swap, keep us informed.

buickbert

rear end

U can make it work but its not a direct bolt in. Just rebuild the existing rear end with good stuff and Im sure it will hold up. I would also suggest running an aftermarket engine management system like DFI or FAST. It will cut down on the headaches that are forthcoming :) . Good luck.

The rears are both the same 8.5. There's no need to change it. You could put the posi and gears in I guess.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering why you reccomend a engine management system?I was planning on taking ecu and all wiring from the turbo car and installing it in the 72( kind of a scary thought, I AGREE) what would you recommend for the fuel system and tank, can it come from the t-type???? thanks again Pat

Back