84-85 to 87 ECM conversion

oaklane2

I picked up a re-manufactured ECM, part number 1227148, so I can start using a scan tool on my 1985 hotair Buick. It did not arrive with either chip in it. Can I use the stock chips from my '85 ECM until I get the right Calpak and Turbotweak or whichever chip upgrade?

I picked up a re-manufactured ECM, part number 1227148, so I can start using a scan tool on my 1985 hotair Buick. It did not arrive with either chip in it. Can I use the stock chips from my '85 ECM until I get the right Calpak and Turbotweak or whichever chip upgrade?
I believe you can only use the cal pak off of your original computer. My mind is a little rusty cause it's been a while since i did my change over.

you swap the small chip into the new ecm, but you need a big chip for an 86 or 87.. might as well just get a TurboTweak chip right away and be done with it..

Thanks all, I need to get a little more detailed info about my Buick before I can order a new chip.

According to the sticky hot air thread on this forum, its basically plug and play as long as you get a chip for the new computer, and an 86/7 maf sensor. I didnt think there was any need for the wire harness and all the other stuff that the link previously posted says you need?

It is pretty much plug n play I did the swap all it took wastage 86/87 ECM and a 86/87 maf sensor what I did and have now as far as chips go I transferred the small calpack chip from my 85 ECM to the 86/87 ECM I'm running a stock 86/87 chip in it ..... I do plan on getting a chip burned real soon for my specific setup but as of now that's how my ride is running ....

It is pretty much plug n play I did the swap all it took wastage 86/87 ECM and a 86/87 maf sensor what I did and have now as far as chips go I transferred the small calpack chip from my 85 ECM to the 86/87 ECM I'm running a stock 86/87 chip in it ..... I do plan on getting a chip burned real soon for my specific setup but as of now that's how my ride is running ....

The conversion is as turbobooster says above 86-87 MAF, 86-87 ECM- if you wish to add the MAT (temp sensor), Casper's has a kit for that- or it can be deleted on that part of the chip when it is ordered from turbotweak...

i'm running the 87 ecm with the 84 calpack and a turbotweak chip.. i'm running the stock 84 maf and it never caused any problems- even when i was running it for a while with the chip that came with the ecm from the junkyard (87 Olds is written on the side of the case).. it ran and drove fine like that, i just stayed out of the boost until i got the TT chip- which was the best money i've spent on that car so far...

I was able to speak with the previous owner of my Buick to get the last of the specifics and placed several orders. A turbotweak pump gas chip, scanmaster, and MAT sensor are all on the way to go with the remanufactured ECM and new TPS to update my '85 GN. Plans for next year are suspension upgrades, woo hoo more research.

P.S. will the turbotweak chip be shipped with the plastic holder as my remanufactured ECM arrived without a chip.

I was able to speak with the previous owner of my Buick to get the last of the specifics and placed several orders. A turbotweak pump gas chip, scanmaster, and MAT sensor are all on the way to go with the remanufactured ECM and new TPS to update my '85 GN. Plans for next year are suspension upgrades, woo hoo more research.

P.S. will the turbotweak chip be shipped with the plastic holder as my remanufactured ECM arrived without a chip.

Yes it will be

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. I have a 85 t type and I'm about to do the ecm swapping. I have a turbo twerp chip I'll b e using. I just need to know where is the smaller chip and how easily can it be taken out? Any pictures would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. I have a 85 t type and I'm about to do the ecm swapping. I have a turbo twerp chip I'll b e using. I just need to know where is the smaller chip and how easily can it be taken out? Any pictures would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Right next to your TT chip and extremely easy to take out and only goes in 1 way.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

so I did my ecm conversion and im having a slight problem. I added the air temp sensor and a tt chip. i still have the 85 maf sensor. when I do the swap do I need the engine harness ass well or should my original harness work fine? this has me stomped and I really need help with this. anybody that has done the conversion please feel free to chime in

What about the ignition module and coil? Do I need those parts too or is th 85 parts ok with this ecm?