86 t- type egr problem

kaine robbins

Having problem with a short circuit between egr solenoid and ecm,10 amp fuse continues to blow. Have taken to smog repair shop replaced egr solenoid still blowing fuses. Bought new ecm from kirban smog tech installed it and car would not run very well. Put old ecm back in and in stalled a heavyer amp fuse,fuse is holding and emissions cleand up. He said he drove it around all day with no problems,smoothed out the idle. Hes 99% sure it will pass now,ill find out tomorow. Whats causing the 10 amp fuse to blow,will i run into bigger problems running a heavyer amp fuse.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The ECM/SOL fuse feeds:

EGR (called EVRV in the manual)
brake switch - this feeds other circuits
canister purge solenoid
coolant fan delay relay - these are known for going bad, although not for blowing fuses.
A/C cutout relay

it could be a pinched or burnt wire in these circuits, or these components themselves.

Bob

I did the bigger fuse thing (put a 25 in place of a 10), and the failure caused a smoked harness (not in the Buick, was another car). Once its smogged, change the fuse back.

Bob

Passed everything looked good,on leaving the parking lot being a little more agressive at the gas pedal than usual check engine lite came back on and rough idal came back got home fuse was blown. Aleast now i have some time,just have to find a shop that is familiar with the car.thanks for your help,dropping the buick at the paint and body shop tomorrow to finish up the paint job.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app