87 Computer plug issues

greeneyegi

I've got an issue where haveI to move the wires around to get the computer to come on. Is it usually the wires or the plug that's bad?

I had problems in the past with my computer, wound up being the pins in the computer itself started rusting away, rotted, where the harness plugs into, so I bought a new bulk head for the ECU and replaced it, mine was a modified ECU for injectors so was worth the effort, maybe if yours is the same problem, just but another stock ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to change the wire connector on mine . The car would shut off at any given time . I replaced it with a Caspers connector pigtail and problem solved. I did both connectors . Not a bad job , the wires are all the proper colors. A good soldering iron and shrink tube are your friends.

More than likely the Plug’s female contacts are corroded and/or no longer engaging the ECM pins properly. You have an intermittent contact when you move the harness back and forth.
Casper’s electronics sells new plugs with pigtails. It’s a PITA to cut and solder all those wires. The male pins in the ECM may also be corroded. Especially if water got into the picture. Replacing the ECM is a good idea too.

Maybe start small.........Before you go through all that rig-a-morole , have you tried using some electrical contact cleaner on the plugs and receptacles?

no but ill try

Disconnect the battery just in case. Be liberal with it. Blast the fronts where the plugs connect, the backs where wires go into the plugs, blast the sockets out real good, give it 30 minutes or so to make sure it's dry, even though the stuff evaporates in a heartbeat.

Replacing the connectors isn't that bad . With the ECM out of the way , the harness pulls out enough to work on so you're not under the dash . Leave the connector pigtail long and cut the wires off of the old connectors close to the connector body . Do one wire at a time and don't forget to put your shrink tube on before soldering ( my favorite thing to do ) lol . Here are pics of mine and the junk splices I found and removed .
DSCN0630.JPG
DSCN0632.JPG
DSCN0633.JPG
DSCN0634.JPG
DSCN0635.JPG