TPS volts

Ktbregal

Ok has anyone seen the TPS volts change by dropping volts at idle in closed loop? I've tried other TPS units. We have a new Snap on scan tool and we are back probing the connector. We set the volts with a meter and at the same time we are watching on the scanner what the ecm is commanding. The volts drop from .42 to .10 .14 then back but the TPS still show .42. I've tried the different ecms. Thoughts??

Voltage drop is almost always wire harness related, or poor connector contact. You can back-probe and get the proper voltage, but it needs to make the contact forward to the device. If the terminal is loose and lost its spring tension, that could cause the problem.

Beyond that, the wire within the harnesses with our GNs has lost its copper properties, and has oxidized throughout. That adds resistance and gives you all sorts of electrical issues. High resistance between the copper and the terminal results.

I might have had a similar problem. Car would die out on left turns in intersections. Since replacing the engine harness 2 years ago it has never died out. Any thoughts?

Rick I do remember reading your post some time ago. I haven't had time to do more diagnosing. I am definitely considering buying one.

It might be worthwhile to just replace the TPS female connector. Casper’s sells replacements for about $10. They have pigtails which you solder to the existing wires after you cut the old connector off.