Talk me into / out of going SD2

Chris996

Presently running a 6.1 TT chip and am happy with the performance.
A recent turbo upgrade that has me upgrading my intake pipe, MAF, chip and injectors has now made moving to an SD2 chip a timely upgrade if I were ever to do it.
A couple of kids in college, another even more expensive hobby and an honest evaluation of my goals with this car, has a stand alone ecu not likely.
Looking for any real world experiences for making or not making the switch.

Skip the SD2 and move to the ECUGN......You wont regret it!

Point taken and appreciated but I'm trying real hard to not overspend here. We're talking a $350 vs a $2000 upgrade.
The idea of a stand alone ecu sounds great but the idea and an honest look at my ability and likely use are two different things.
If the turbo upgrade didn't require replacing the intake pipe, MAF and having the chip reburned, I doubt I'd even be thinking SD2.

SD2 will take tuning as well with Powerlogger and you need a wideband as well-you can sell off the parts and get ECUGN( use autotune feature) will get you closer than the tuning SD2 parameters yourself...If I were you I would call Eric and discuss with him your goals...Plus you can always switch back to your 6.1 chip and resale value of the ECUGN wil be great...

SD2 is a big pain in the rear. Always wants something tweaked.
I don’t have much experience with ecugn but the community seems to really like it. It’s just too expensive for my taste.
I have always used Bob Bailey chips. Have great luck with them.

IMO Save your money and stick with the maf.

Point taken and appreciated but I'm trying real hard to not overspend here. We're talking a $350 vs a $2000 upgrade.
The idea of a stand alone ecu sounds great but the idea and an honest look at my ability and likely use are two different things.
If the turbo upgrade didn't require replacing the intake pipe, MAF and having the chip reburned, I doubt I'd even be thinking SD2.
A reburn is not a big deal and the mass air flow cars drive great and can make a ton of power.kiss is sometimes the best method

Thanks for all the replies. I kinda knew going the bigger MAF / new chip was the right way , but I figured if there ever was a time.
Eric, a chip will be coming your way in a week or so, along with an order for some 80lb injectors