You can type here any text you want

'97 Maxima kill

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lyonsd

There was this Maxima that pulled into the gas station to fill up. I pulled up and said, "Nice car! Wanna run'em?"

The guy asked what I had.
ME: Six cylinder.
HIM: Any mods?
ME: A chip. But stock everything else.
HIM: What kind of chip - Jet?
ME: No, just some aftermarket one. I see you've got exhaust. What year is it? (he had a 4" fart can)
HIM: '97
ME: Any other mods?
HIM: I've got exhaust and intake and... (can't remember what other mods he listed) I'm making about 250hp. You've got a turbo. I can see it on the hood. I don't have a turbo.
ME: I'm making 245.
HIM: It ought to be close.
ME: Why don't you follow me down to that stoplight and we'll run for fun?
HIM: OK, I'm going that way anyway.

Well, too much traffic and we couldn't get the light. Nor the next one. So finally when the road cleared, we were side-by-side at 40mph and I wave to him to go. I hit it right after he did and slowly pulled until I hit third. When the car shifted I walked away from him pretty good. Put 4 lengths or so before I started tapping the brakes. Checked the Scanmaster - got 4.2 degrees. :(

After he caught up we got side by side and chatted.

HIM: How much did you pay for that turbo?
ME: It came with it.
HIM: You bought it that way?
ME: Yeah.
HIM: How much for the chip?
ME: $25.
HIM: :eek: A chip for this costs 300! You have to have it sent out for programming.
ME: Wht kind?
HIM: Jet.
ME: How much power will it give you?
HIM: 50 horsepower.
Me: Wow.

That was pretty much it and we went our separate ways.

Congrats, any Maxima kill is a good one, but you did trick him;) But then again you put a 4" muffler on your car (except the almighty Big Dog) and you deserve to get walked.

Originally posted by GNICETRY
Congrats, any Maxima kill is a good one, but you did trick him;) But then again you put a 4" muffler on your car (except the almighty Big Dog) and you deserve to get walked.

I didn't trick him. It's not my problem that he wasn't familiar with the power of the Dark Side.

Ran into the Maxima driver today.

I was cruising along when I noticed a group of ricers in a parking lot. I pulled in to see if the Maxima guy (Sterling) was there. He was. I asked him if he got his chip installed and he said that he did not. He said it would require him to be without his car for a week or so and he couldn't go that long without it. He said he was getting a racing straight pipe (exhaust) instead.

So Sterling told me about this car club of his. I asked if it was for imports only. Sterling said that they have "everything". He said there was a new member with a 350Z. He said he'd probably race me.

I asked him, "So you've never heard of a Buick with a turbo, eh?" He said "No", but mentioned a friend or relative of his that had one, but it didn't have a turbo.

I hit 24psi of boost today with 2.6 degrees of knock retard. So I increased the percentage of 100 octane in the tank.

I plan on showing up at their next meeting with $100 in my wallet and see if I can at least double it. Maybe Sterling will have his "racing" exhaust installed by then and maybe I can even triple of quadruple it. Since we ran from a roll, I'll mention how he may have a better chance from a stop since my turbo won't be spooled (and everybody knows how turbo cars are only good on the top end....) :D

Re: Ran into the Maxima driver today.

Originally posted by lyonsd
I plan on showing up at their next meeting with $100 in my wallet and see if I can at least double it. Maybe Sterling will have his "racing" exhaust installed by then and maybe I can even triple of quadruple it. Since we ran from a roll, I'll mention how he may have a better chance from a stop since my turbo won't be spooled (and everybody knows how turbo cars are only good on the top end....) :D

Haha, nice. Thats what I'm gonna be doing all summer. You gotta fund these cars one way or another. Especially since they dont run too well on the bottom end;)

The reputation of the Dark Side is a curse

OK, so I went to their meeting. And to my surprise, it wasn't a ricer car club. But there were quite a few ricers in it.

I pull up and there were some cats standing outside and we started talking about racing. One spoke up and said that he'd race me. I could hear a voice in their crowd saying something about him getting raped.

ME: OK, what'cha got?
HIM: A Corvette engine in that Camaro over there.
ME: OK, let's go.

Some other guys pipes up. Turns out he was the owner of the 350Z.

HIM: I'll run you
ME: What'cha got? (I was expecting him to say a 350Z)
HIM: I've got a Bug that isn't stock either.

So he starts telling me about this Bug of his that has a 427 in it that was built for racing and not the street. But he says he drives it on the street anyway.

HIM: What do you have done?
ME: A K&N and chip.
HIM: That chip makes a big difference.
ME: Not really.

Anyway, back to the Camaro guy...

ME: Well? You going to run?
HIM: No. You're not stock.
ME: Neither are you; you've got a "Corvette" engine.
HIM: Yes, it's stock. It came that way.
ME: What year?
HIM: '95
ME: Oh, an LT1. I wasn't going to bother trying to tell him that his LT1 wasn't the same as the LT1 in the 'Vette.
HIM: I only run cars that are stock.
ME: I'll pop my hood and you tell me what isn't stock.

So I popped the hood and the crowd gathered. I don't remember exactly who said what, so I'll just keep putting the other guys' comments in blue as "HIM".

HIM: That's not a stock intake.
ME: (pointing to the doghouse) That's the intake and yes, it's stock
HIM: (Pointing to the K&N) That's a cold-air intake!
ME: No it isn't. It's just a K&N air filter. If it was cold-air it's be down here (pointing towards the front of the car)
HIM: It still makes a difference.
ME: Yeah, maybe one or two horsepower.
HIM: I know you're not stock. You've beat that chick in the Camaro.
ME: I've never raced any chick in no Camaro.

Well, the bottom line is that nobody there had any grit. Not the Camaro driver. Not the 350Z driver. None of the ricers. They wanted to talk, but when it came time to pay the piper they were broke. So I still have only $200 in my wallet. I guess I'll take it back to the bank. :(

Or maybe I'm just no good at being a shyster.

hahaha man thats a pretty good rep you got going when a guy w/a 427 meant for racing put in a beetle wouldnt run you. if hes not BS'ing i bet it flies but so does your car i assume;) reminds me of these ricers at a car show recently who were all talking about how their friends GS-T would run my friends LT1 Camaro for $200. these guys were sooooo confident until my friend showed them his ~471 RWTQ/~395 RWHP dyno sheet, 12.42 @ 113 timeslip and 150 HP wet shot nitrous system:eek: then their comments turned to, "oh, uh, the GS-T wont run you b/c you arent stock and hes having boost problems, and his car is having trouble, bla, bla, bla":rolleyes: ricers are mostly all talk no show. and when my friend said they would go from a stop they acted like he just pi$$ed in their cornflakes saying things like "thats not fair, you got a RWD V8, you would kill us from a stop". well duhhh, they should have thought about that before they put their money down on their slow, FWD, POS GS-T. anyways, like you, my friend walked away that night w/$200 still in his pocket:(

The thing is, my car really is stock and I only ran a best of 13.8-something at 95-96mph at the strip at 14psi (I believe I need new valve springs and timing chain). I've got the K&N, JC variable timing chip, and TH DP. It ain't bone stock, but a K&N, chip & DP isn't going to make much of a difference. At least not with the stock exhaust. But last night I had a tank full of 100 octane and the boost adjusted up a little bit to about 24psi.

Back