a arm shaft

blackbird

skunk works
hi guys, im needing some data. i looked at my upper a arm shaft and there were no shims where the two bolts join the arn to the chassis. i ordered a set but it looks like i definately dont have enough to fill in the gap. im gonna order more tomorrow but how do i install them?? looks like they just slide on but it can be that easy...can it??:confused:

The shims are u shaped and just slip over the bolts. Then tighten the nuts, 18 mm.

shims

thanks for the advice, would i have to back the nuts off, insert the shims then tighten the nuts again??

Shim packs do fall out so try to wedge in as many as will fill the gap. Then back off the nut, insert the shims, and tighten.

Or go get a front end alignment so they can put in the correct number of shims.

advice

thank all of you guys for your advice, im gonna take care of this today after work. take care.

I just hafta add that it's really not a good idea to add shims randomly. Those shims determine all your alignment settings, so you could really screw up how your car handle and drives, not to mention tire wear.

Also, not having any shims isn't necessarily a bad thing. You COULD still meet all the correct alignment settings without any shims -- but it's unlikely. Every car is different.

I suggest you take the car to an alignment shop and get the alignment dialed in properly. Or you could take a stab at doing a an alignment yourself using this writeup I did for gnttype.org -- at least it will tell you more about what those shims do:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/alignment.html

:D