a/c compressor

Like you cant get the clutch to engage? Where are you jumping it? I usually use a small length of wire on the switch plug to get it in. Have you put a meter to either the switch plug or compressor to see if it is getting power?

clutch will not engage, jumped at the switch plug, no power to the compressor. when to a a/c shop they what $85hr to check

does the plug have power?

If not gotta go further up line and find where it does or jump power from battery to switch plug with longer piece of wire. careful with all that, you could hurt something if you leave it on a long time, I'd just stick the wire into the switch plug and touch the other end to the battery, of course this is at your own risk, just telling what I would do to my car.

If it doesn't get the clutch in try the other socket on the plug and see if that gets the clutch in. If that doesn't clutch electro magnet might be bad.

Yes, on the front of the compressor. In the pulley. The pulley rides a bearing and when the power is put to it the magnet is energized and the clutch should pull the outer part in and this spins the compressor to make the refrigerant move through the system.

so if i jump it, it should engage, if not its the compressor (just bought it) thanks again, ed

My car had a Green wire from the low pressure switch to the compressor. Somehow this wire broke internally somewhere. So I spliced in a new wire and that fixed it.

It has to have power to "suck" the clutch in and turn the compressor. How it gets there is up to you at this point. Wires carry current and if there isn't any or the wire is broken as above current doesn't get there. It is like a garden hose and the liquid that runs through it. We can't see it so we use a meter to detect what is there or not there. and use the ohm to measure the current carrying ability or lack if not connected or broken.