A few questions about Hooker Headers

gn87man

Hey guys, I am finally going to install my rebuilt engine in about 3 weeks. It's been 19 months in the making. Long story, I'll share it later.

Anyways, I have a set of hooker headers which I am debating on installing. I am beginning to do my own mechanical work on the car. I'm a rookie, so please excuse my ignorance.

Here is my question....

In the 1st attached picture, the up-pipe (?) has a threaded hole in it (circled in red), on the end of the pipe where it connects to the turbo. What is supposed to be threaded into this hole? Is it a flange that connects to the turbo? Whatever it is, where can I purchase this item?

Also, in the 2nd attached picture, there is a small dent in one of the header pipes. Will this affect the airflow negatively? Or will it be ok to leave as-is?

Thank you so much in advance!
941998fdb53c338fa403df8548d3954a.jpg
9acc4f1f27456cc131eb9adfeefa31e2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Do a search on Hooker Headers... iirc... they perform worse than stock and slow spool up time.

if you do use it... the bung is for the O2 sensor

-aaron

the threaded hole is there for you to put a sensor into. Usually an EGT sensor or exhaust pressure sensor. Depending on which one you choose, make sure you install it correctly. If you don't want to add a sensor there, you can get a plug (bolt) to block it off and you'll be golden. If you're looking to put a wideband O2 sensor in the car, i wouldn't recommend putting it in there. although it could fit there, it won't get an accurate reading. For turbo cars the best spot is in the downpipe.

As far as the dent, check out this video. Should answer your question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the threaded hole is there for you to put a sensor into. Usually an EGT sensor or exhaust pressure sensor. Depending on which one you choose, make sure you install it correctly. If you don't want to add a sensor there, you can get a plug (bolt) to block it off and you'll be golden. If you're looking to put a wideband O2 sensor in the car, i wouldn't recommend putting it in there. although it could fit there, it won't get an accurate reading. For turbo cars the best spot is in the downpipe.

its actually for the O2 sensor i believe.

-aaron

its actually for the O2 sensor i believe.

-aaron

if so that's an incorrect placement. an o2 sensor might thread into it but so could other sensors if the thread sizes are the same. but like i said, and o2 sensor before the turbo exhaust housing won't give the best reading. the downpipe is the best spot for it

if so that's an incorrect placement. an o2 sensor might thread into it but so could other sensors if the thread sizes are the same. but like i said, and o2 sensor before the turbo exhaust housing won't give the best reading. the downpipe is the best spot for it

where do you think the Stock O2 sensor threads in on stock headers.....or ATR headers for that matter

-aaron

Do a search on Hooker Headers... iirc... they perform worse than stock and slow spool up time.

if you do use it... the bung is for the O2 sensor

-aaron
Thanks so much Aaron! I will do the search before making a final decision. I appreciate it bud.

Thank you very much!

where do you think the Stock O2 sensor threads in on stock headers.....or ATR headers for that matter

-aaron

if the placement for an o2 sensor is superior in the headers just before the exhaust housing why is it that with an aftermarket ECU like XFI, the wideband O2 sensor is recommended to be in the downpipe?

a narrowband sensor might be better in the header just before the turbo, but i was under the impression the OP was going to use a wideband if he were to use an O2 sensor at all. The advantages of a wideband over a narrowband should be noted as well, but aren't related to the OPs questions so i feel that should be reserved unless he wishes to know.

if the placement for an o2 sensor is superior in the headers just before the exhaust housing why is it that with an aftermarket ECU like XFI, the wideband O2 sensor is recommended to be in the downpipe?

a narrowband sensor might be better in the header just before the turbo, but i was under the impression the OP was going to use a wideband if he were to use an O2 sensor at all. The advantages of a wideband over a narrowband should be noted as well, but aren't related to the OPs questions so i feel that should be reserved unless he wishes to know.

this is where the stock narrowband sensor goes.... we are not talking about the WBo2 sensor... you are getting confused. On Hooker Headers there is a separate pipe that leads to the turbo... that is NOT the down pipe.... this weird design is WHY hooker headers IMO suck.

As far as WBo2 placement... you are correct. it needs to go 10-12" (at least) from the exhaust housing on the DP.

-aaron

this is where the stock narrowband sensor goes.... we are not talking about the WBo2 sensor... you are getting confused. On Hooker Headers there is a separate pipe that leads to the turbo... that is NOT the down pipe.... this weird design is WHY hooker headers IMO suck.

As far as WBo2 placement... you are correct. it needs to go 10-12" (at least) from the exhaust housing on the DP.

-aaron

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing it up!

Hey guys, I am finally going to install my rebuilt engine in about 3 weeks. It's been 19 months in the making. Long story, I'll share it later.

Anyways, I have a set of hooker headers which I am debating on installing. I am beginning to do my own mechanical work on the car. I'm a rookie, so please excuse my ignorance.

Here is my question....

In the 1st attached picture, the up-pipe (?) has a threaded hole in it (circled in red), on the end of the pipe where it connects to the turbo. What is supposed to be threaded into this hole? Is it a flange that connects to the turbo? Whatever it is, where can I purchase this item?

Also, in the 2nd attached picture, there is a small dent in one of the header pipes. Will this affect the airflow negatively? Or will it be ok to leave as-is?

Thank you so much in advance!
941998fdb53c338fa403df8548d3954a.jpg
9acc4f1f27456cc131eb9adfeefa31e2.jpg

Please don't use those headers. If your stockers are good, put them back on. Or buy a used set that is.

From my experience dating back to the early 90's.

The stock narrow band O2 goes there. Those headers hurt performance on a mild build. Like others said use something else, preferably a stock set.

I really appreciate all the feedback guys!

I have decided to stick with the stock headers. They always treated me good anyways.

As I am not surpassing the 700+ horsepower mark, it sounds like the Hooker Headers will most likely decrease the performance of the car and at best, no improvement in performance.