AC compressor died , What should I do ?

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
I'm asking this cause I do not know alot about AC . My compressor is toast , clutches are visibly burnt . I was told by a local mechanic to buy a complete AC kit from napa , auto zone or whoever cause they all carry a 2 year warranty and he would install and charge it . The cost of the kit and his install is bout $ 550 . Is this the route most go when the AC dies ? thanks for the reply's in advance . Keith

how bout condenser ? did you replace it or have it flushed Did you just get someone to charge the system ?

For $550, it is a fantastic deal!

Let him purchase the compressor.

Delco sucks in my opinion, 4 Seasons has a better compressor and warranty.

I would replace the compressor and the dryer and orifice tube. I wouldn't replace the condensor. If this mechanic is going to replace the parts, I suppose he knows what to do, what he normally does. Flushing out lines is probably a good idea, I suppose. Most times I've only dealt with leaky systems, not burned up compressors, so I never did any flushing.

Thats the route we maybe going , The kit which includes the compressor , dryer and orifice tube for bout $ 260 ish plus the flush fluid . He said we probably wouldnt have to replace the condenser just flush it . But yea the total is $ 260 for the kit and $ 175 to charge and install

Meh, let it ride Keith, how hot can it get in Mississippi...in the summer...in a black car :depressed:

Flush the condensor?? Why? Replace w/ a multi-pass, for a much better/CLEAN system.
The hoses are very likely to leak. Hiway Stars has them, too.
I use the "blue" orifice valve.

Do a search... The AC topic is frequently discussed.

Flush the condensor?? Why? Replace w/ a multi-pass, for a much better/CLEAN system.
The hoses are very likely to leak. Hiway Stars has them, too.
I use the "blue" orifice valve.

Do a search... The AC topic is frequently discussed.
Thanks Chuck , I will check into that

If you don't buy all the parts to change the AC from the same store, you may have a lot of trouble getting the compressor warrantied. Seen a few local guys go through several compressors last summer, and couldn't get them warrantied bc it was only valid if they purchased everything along with the compressor...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I bought one (and quite a few other parts which equalled 3 boxes) from highway stars a few weeks back.... from the time of order to shipping, it was 9 days. When I enquirer why it's taking so long to ship, she said that all items have to be inspected and because I'm in Canada, it prolongs that process.

So.... don't they inspect their items before they add it into inventory? Why inspect again.... and 9 days? And I'm Canadian so that adds time......

And they didn't mark 1 of 3 etc on the boxes so my compressor sat at customs for 2 weeks.

Rant over....good thing they're not the only game in town for GN parts.

So.... don't they inspect their items before they add it into inventory? Why inspect again.... and 9 days? And I'm Canadian so that adds time......

Let me guess.......The inspection was by the customs office??

Keith, i think i saw there was a guy on another thread selling a condenser for $50, he just posted it tonight at 8pm

I replaced the a/c clutch on my '69 Vette....worked fine..cheaper to just replace the clutch and bearings on it......but with your car that old, just go for a new compressor, condenser and orifice valve. Old parts wear out.....start out fresh. Just my opinion. It's up to you....all other opinions here are also viable and makes good sense....they know what they are talking about.

Bruce '87 Grand National