AC question

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
So I purchased a new compressor from rock auto 4 seasons I believe, there was a note on it saying it already had oil installed is this enough for the system or do I need to add more ? And if I do need to add more how much do I add and where do I add it ? Also I planned on trying to find some R12 and adding it to the system will the oil that came with the compressor be compatible with the oil needed for R12 ? Lastly the compressor came with 4 seals, 2 red, 1 gold, and a thicker green one, where do these go ?

Thanks for the help, AC is kinda foreign to me so I’m learning.

Ac is not an area to experiment on if you don't have proper knowledge, equip and tools . Do the search there is plenty conversation on ac repair. To answer your question oil in compressor is for compressor only . Oil is needed in condenser,dryer and evap. The crush seals it depends on type of ac lines stock or aftermarket. Ester oil is compatible with R12 and 134. Read up about the different oils.

Ac is not an area to experiment on if you don't have proper knowledge, equip and tools . Do the search there is plenty conversation on ac repair. To answer your question oil in compressor is for compressor only . Oil is needed in condenser,dryer and evap. The crush seals it depends on type of ac lines stock or aftermarket. Ester oil is compatible with R12 and 134. Read up about the different oils.
Also if you just add refrigerant to a system that's been open it won't work right. Once open the receiver dryer and the office have to be replaced and the system should be evacuated under vacuum for at least an hour.

Depending on what you are placing and if the system has been open to the elements is how much oil if any is added.
You got four crush seals with your compressor but you will only use two. Different hose connector use different seals. In a Regals case you use one green and one gold. In a Monte Carlo case, you use two red.

Do yourself a favor (the system will work better also) replace the orifice tube while you have it apart.

If you are just replacing the compressor do not add any oil. If you are replacing the accumulator add a small can.

Mines came as a package with the compressor, accumulator ,and orifice tube. I also purchased a red ford orifice tube but have managed to misplace it.

Mines came as a package with the compressor, accumulator ,and orifice tube. I also purchased a red ford orifice tube but have managed to misplace it.

So do yourself a favor and replace the condensor, too. The newer models are way better than the stocker.

And retrofit to 134a.

I have that exact compressor, a new condenser, and I get 38 degrees out of the vent on a 90 degree day with 134a.

Flush the evaporator and the lines with one of those A/C flush kits, install the new compressor and condensor with the seals that fit. You can tell which don't. Replace all the O-Rings, and use a proper orifice tube for 134a.

Then suck it down with a vacuum pump for at least an hour, then close the valves on the manifold gauge set and shut the pump off. Wait an hour. If the needles move, you have a leak. Start over. If not, time to charge it.

I replaced mine with all AC Delco parts from Highway stars, had an AC technician buddy help with the installation.
I also replaced my AC lines at the same time with new reproduction lines Highway Stars had available at the time. We did blow thru some AC cleaner / flush thru the evaporator core, which are no longer available first though.
After adding oil to the system (came with a tag which indicated how much to install) we vacuumed down for a few hours, then recharged with R-12. So Happy now it blows nice N cold (after years of not having a working AC system I actually look forward to driving my Black car on hot summer days)!