air flow through stock intake parts

A2000RICH

i was asked by several interested in TAS just what was the limit of flow with the stock air intake parts---------i did some flowbench testing and here are some of the results------i am printing these here for everyone to see since i would think anyone interested in this class would want to know this------as we all know there are jillion conbinations that could be measured--------i tried to make this simple and to contain useful informanton-------pictures will be printed in the next post in order of the descriptions so it will be clear----------first pic is of a gutted MAF------i figure if anyone is going to be competitive in this class its gonna need to have this done to some degree so for all tests the numbers are with a MAF gutted as shown in the first photo---------second picture is of a fully assembled intake assy without a filter and without a turbo inlet bell-------flow at 28" of water (equal to 1 psi of air pressure)-------flow was 466 CFM-------third is same test with pipe bent in approx shape when installed in car-------28" with 453 CFM--------next was same as second pic with addition of stock GM air filter------28" with 445 CFM------------next was same test as last pic with hose bent 28" with 413 CFM--------next was same as last test but at 48" of water (1.7 psi) resulting in a CFM of 560 CFM as a reminder that these flow test numbers are limited only by how much pressure drop you are going to allow---------for next test conditions are done back at 28" with a stock inlet bell added (vent port blocked)-------flow is 357 CFM--------next is a ported inlet bell (ported to 2.35 inch, polished and with vent blocked and smoothed)----flow is 390 CFM-----------clearly the inlet bell is the major restriction..............RC

i was asked by several interested in TAS just what was the limit of flow with the stock air intake parts---------i did some flowbench testing and here are some of the results------i am printing these here for everyone to see since i would think anyone interested in this class would want to know this------as we all know there are jillion conbinations that could be measured--------i tried to make this simple and to contain useful informanton-------pictures will be printed in the next post in order of the descriptions so it will be clear----------first pic is of a gutted MAF------i figure if anyone is going to be competitive in this class its gonna need to have this done to some degree so for all tests the numbers are with a MAF gutted as shown in the first photo---------second picture is of a fully assembled intake assy without a filter and without a turbo inlet bell-------flow at 28" of water (equal to 1 psi of air pressure)-------flow was 466 CFM-------third is same test with pipe bent in approx shape when installed in car-------28" with 453 CFM--------next was same as second pic with addition of stock GM air filter------28" with 445 CFM------------next was same test as last pic with hose bent 28" with 413 CFM--------next was same as last test but at 48" of water (1.7 psi) resulting in a CFM of 560 CFM as a reminder that these flow test numbers are limited only by how much pressure drop you are going to allow---------for next test conditions are done back at 28" with a stock inlet bell added (vent port blocked)-------flow is 357 CFM--------next is a ported inlet bell (ported to 2.35 inch, polished and with vent blocked and smoothed)----flow is 390 CFM-----------clearly the inlet bell is the major restriction..............RC

Here are the first 5 pictures.

Attachments

• DSC01124.JPG
    DSC01124.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 764
  • DSC01125.JPG
    DSC01125.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 777
  • DSC01126.JPG
    DSC01126.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 759
  • DSC01127.JPG
    DSC01127.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 774
  • DSC01128.JPG
    DSC01128.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 782
Here are the next 5 pictures.

Attachments

• DSC01129.JPG
    DSC01129.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 749
  • DSC01130.JPG
    DSC01130.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 742
  • DSC01131.JPG
    DSC01131.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 742
  • DSC01132.JPG
    DSC01132.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC01133.JPG
    DSC01133.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 737
Here are the Last 4 pictures.

Attachments

• DSC01134.JPG
    DSC01134.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 744
  • DSC01135.JPG
    DSC01135.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 742
  • DSC01136.JPG
    DSC01136.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 736
  • DSC01137.JPG
    DSC01137.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 767
Wow! Thanks for doing this test. Time for me to break out the calculator!

WOW, Big thanks !

for spending time to show the results, very informative.
I can't find enough time to complete my regular tasks, let alone something productive like this!
Thanks!

Ok, now can you show the flow gains by porting and smoothing the stock inlet bell? Hmmm

In the old days of NMCA stock appearing when fast GN was running low 12's / high 11's (bone stock including turbo) I remember that reworking the inside of the air box and no filter was a nice improvment, and the attachment of the 90* hose to the airbox was another. Of course the inlet bell was machined out. Red Armstrong was one of the fast guys and I used to work with Pat Kelly from Texas who also raced with Mike Kurtz the trans guy
Mike

one good thing in the bad events concerning BG this year is that it gives everyone that said there was not enough time to compete in TSA more time to prepare ---------remember the purse this year is really up there and next year it will be even bigger---------no excuses now---------everybody has till oct