Another “Street” vs DR thread

Stick with DRs or get regular tires for daily driving?

• Stick with DRs, go 295/50s

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • DRs 275/60

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Cheap street tires 295/50

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Run slicks on the street and send it!

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

gorge1087

I’ve been running MT ET Streets (255/60/15) on my car since I bought it a year and a half ago. I like them at the track, but jesus! They do not handle any rain. (This was in FL).

I’ve moved to AZ now and it’s time to change tires too. I haven’t made up my mind if I want to go with 295/50/15 regular street tires or if I would be better off just sticking with a new set of DRs. I want to give the car a beefier look in the back so either 275/60 or 295/50.

I do drive the car about 30 miles daily so I feel like the DRs might go to waste on the drive to work and back.

What do ya’ll think?

PS, car has stock suspension and no plans of lowering it.

Last edited:
I have 275/60 nitto extreme on mine and they work well in rain. I’m in Florida and it rains often and streets get coved with puddles easy. Really like the way they hook up and couldn’t get traction at all before with street tires. Next time I’m going to try to find something lower profile because the tires do get a little bouncy sometimes at high speeds when I hit bumps or cross bridges.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tire that will shed water like a Nitto 555r or the new MT's DR's will be better than a reg radial.

Nitto DR's work just fine in the rain for me, 3 season tires in the back, about 22 years daily driving on them.

4 Blizzaks or X-ice in the winters.

So Nitto DRs seem to be the happy medium for most? Then a 275/60 on a 15 by 8 should hook up enough and look good at the same time?

nitto 555, work great, good tire life, hooks good, and driving in the rain is no problem ( if driving sense-ably)

Attachments

• CF361BE0-1E8E-4B7F-A7DD-08758F8EFD94.jpeg
    CF361BE0-1E8E-4B7F-A7DD-08758F8EFD94.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
I use to run nitto555r drag radials on my 95 z28 camaro. They worked good on my 17 inch rims in a 11.90 car. Had them for 4 years on the car with about 15,000 miles. I daily drove with them even When it rained, just be careful. Now on my Buick I run Mickey Thompson drag radials. They work better but I don’t daily drive the car so I can’t give any feedback as how they handle in the rain. Also the Buick is a low 10 second ride.

I use to run nitto555r drag radials on my 95 z28 camaro. They worked good on my 17 inch rims in a 11.90 car. Had them for 4 years on the car with about 15,000 miles. I daily drove with them even When it rained, just be careful. Now on my Buick I run Mickey Thompson drag radials. They work better but I don’t daily drive the car so I can’t give any feedback as how they handle in the rain. Also the Buick is a low 10 second ride.

I hadn’t considered how fast the car is. At the moment I have no idea on what it’s running.

if you drive the car hard you will appreciate a good dr.if your not going to use the power they are not needed
I look at it the same way and I choose to go with the tire that gives good dry weather traction. You can drive slow when it rains,but it can be more dangerous to use full power on a dry road with a slippery street tire. Of course,2 sets of wheels and tires is another option.

Well, it looks like I’ll be gone for most of 2019 starting the last week of January. Ended up getting s pair of Hoosiers Quick Time for $75, literally $75 for the pair. I’ll drive these for the next month and a half and then the car will sit for 7 months. Will get a set of M/Ts when I get back.

Attachments

• 83E28A84-BC97-4A3F-900B-6790A4629772.jpeg
    83E28A84-BC97-4A3F-900B-6790A4629772.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
Gorge, How's it going? Good to see you back on the board. Hard to beat the M/Ts, but 600 miles a month minimum you might be going through some tires. Always heard the the Nittos weren't as good, but could go 10-12K miles and were much better in the rain. I'd be worried about rubbing with the 295/60 unless you rolled the fender. Too bad we didn't make more cruises when you were here. Take care and thanks for your service. Jim

Gorge, How's it going? Good to see you back on the board. Hard to beat the M/Ts, but 600 miles a month minimum you might be going through some tires. Always heard the the Nittos weren't as good, but could go 10-12K miles and were much better in the rain. I'd be worried about rubbing with the 295/60 unless you rolled the fender. Too bad we didn't make more cruises when you were here. Take care and thanks for your service. Jim

Thanks man! It looks like I may go with the Nitto’s when I get back from deployment. I’ll stick with 275/60s. Like the way the sit now. No rolling no rubbing either.

How’s FL treating you?

Attachments

• 3236AEB9-74D7-4BBF-80AE-C1645EE62AAB.jpeg
    3236AEB9-74D7-4BBF-80AE-C1645EE62AAB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
If it rains where you live, go with the Nitto's, if not, go with MT's and don't drive it in the rain.

No matter the tire, "You takes your chances, driving this car in wet weather."

And ALL of you can quote me on that. ;)