Another summer gone...what engine upgrades for next year?

Coelacanth

Another summer is coming to an end, it always comes too soon for us western Canadians. I was very pleased with all the work I got done on my GN this summer, and did it all myself, which is its own reward. Previously, I replaced the rad and sorted out Powermaster brake accumulator issues. Last summer, I took care of the intake side of things with my own CAI and added an AXiS interface and TurboTweak chip burned for 93 gas and stock turbo & injectors and replaced fuel pump, and added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and removed the EGR.

This summer, I added a 255 lph fuel pump and hotwire kit and took care of some electrical stuff, adding a fuel pressure and boost gauge. I'm running a 1320electronics.com ALDL Bluetooth adapter and ALDLdroid so everything is being logged to either my Android cellphone or tablet.

I'm wondering which direction I should take for my next mods? The car has under 62K original miles and seems to run strong, but is still running the stock injectors. I want to upgrade something and make sure it's running healthy before I consider adding an adjustable boost controller. Should I upgrade the injectors first, or add an alky kit? Is it highly recommended to do something else, if those items require other supporting mods?

Thanks for sharing your opinions...all we can do up here is exercise our imaginations and look forward to next summer while we wait for the first snowfall to put an end to our GN driving fun.

A great upgrade would be to make it breathe better, put a 3" downpipe for a 3 bolt turbo and a 2.5" Pypes exhaust system (either hollow the factory cat, or run a test pipe in it's place.) Don't change the injectors unless you up the power to where you would need them. If you have the extra coin, a alky kit is the best bang for the buck. It would allow you to set the boost for 20 to 22 psi on pump gas, which would probably add another 50hp or more to the rear tires.

Thanks Mike, good advice...I put a lot of work into improving the intake side of things. I should consider balancing that out by improving the exhaust side. It's good to hear what direction some of you guys would go if your budget was limited and you had to pick & choose only a few upgrades per summer. :cool:

I'm going down a similar path as you. I started with a bone stock 54k car. This Summer I took the motor down the long block and did Intake and valve cover gaskets, new hoses, painted every thing, new sensors, new plugs, RJC wires, MAf and Up pipes, Filter and some other stuff. The main upgrades I chose to do while it was all apart was 60lb injectors and a T.T chip and a Boost controller. When I got the car it wouldn't even consider turning the rear tires over even after spooling it up forever. The car would not do a burnout. Now, it will spin the tires all through 1st and crack 2nd just laying into it.

I'm going to take a break until Next spring and than i'm going to do Turbo, down pipe and Intercooler. That should get me into the 11's which is right where I want to be with this car. If I were you, I would definitely do injectors, chip and a boost controller. The boost controller alone makes the car spool way faster and power comes on strong.