Anyone shooting a Ar-15??

RUQWKNF27

Just bought a Stagg Arms .223 unit today with a red dot scope. Was wondering if anyone has experience with theses and there capabilities. This is the first one of these for me. I still need to learn how to break it down and clean it, so i'm a rookee.

pic.. bad pic cell phone..

Attachments

• ar-15.jpg
    ar-15.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 404
AR-15s shoot just dang close to the capabilities of an M-16, and i shoot those alot. Just out of curiousity what are you going to use it for? As far as the capabilities are you looking for personell experiance or book stats? They are fun and i dont think that you will be disappointed.

I got it for target shooting anf home protection etc. I am now looking for some of the gov. surplus green tip ammo for it. cheaperthandirt.com has some of it. I also need accessories for it such as a front end tripod and a real scope to go along with the red dot. The scope I like is the one the army uses but its $750.00. So I need a alternative. I like the feel of the gun and it's light weight unlike the Bushmaster which is front end heavy. Plus this one works cause I am left handed. You can tell me what ever experience you have with it such as tips for shooting and cleaning if you would like. There is a DVD on shooting Ar's I am lookinginto also.

I don't have any experience with the one you have, but have had a few different ones over the years.
I currently have a Bushmaster Varmeter and love it. It is more accurate than I am.:D

Some pretty good sites out there for information too. Have Fun!

You definitely made a great choice with the Stag Arms. Their quality is excellent. I am currently saving my pennies for a Left Hand also.:cool: Cleaning and maintenance becomes very easy once you do it a few times. There is tons of help out there in books and websites as well as other shooters who have lots of experience with these guns. Cheaper than dirt usually has really good deals, but you can also get good deals on ammo at local gun shows. Just be sure to shop around before you buy. You would be surprised at the price differences for the same stuff at different vendors. :confused: I would recommend you spend a little more up front for a new manufacture, name brand. You can save by buying a full case. Some of the no-label, imported, remanufactured and/or old ammo can be downright dangerous.:mad:

Is there a certain vendor you like. I hear that if you can get some green dot gov. surplus ammo its good to shoot.

Scope

Hard to tell from the pic what scope you have, but I had an M68 red dot optic on my M4 and that thing was friggin dead on out to 350 meters plus. Loved it, eye relief like you wouldn't believe. Without question the fastest target acquisition optic out there. I was able to hit targets while riding in a vehicle at over 60 mph with it and I am not that good of a shot either.

Just plinking around at a range one day. I had the weapon hanging on my vest, not even up to my shoulder. I was leaning over with my eye about 2 feet from the M68 with good trigger squeeze able to hit 300 meter targets!!!

If you can get an M68, get it. You will not be dissapointed at all.

They are made by Aimpoint.

Who makes it and whats the cost? You have any links or pics?

I got a magnification red dot scope. $135.00 Haven't shot the gun yet. But I want a real scope for the gun. I want to get good @ 100 yrds with it.

I'm in the middle of building a CMMG AR. Head over to AR15.com They have a specific thread about doing an AR buildup with pics and everything. Very very helpful. They also have a stag specific section. Ive heard really good things about stag.

M68

Aimpoint : Aimpoint® CompM2#19

Becarefull using something like this or hand guns for home portection. A single stray bullett could eleminate the need for a college fund.

??? Well that leaves shotguns, muzzleloaders and crossbows for home protection.

I don't wan't to turn this into a gun control thread, so I will refrain.

Becarefull using something like this or hand guns for home portection. A single stray bullett could eleminate the need for a college fund.

That's whay I use these... No better ammo IMHO.

Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

.223 rounds for home protection is just plain dumb in urban areas.. that round is soo fast it's a danger to everybody past what you're shooting at... even if you hit them.

Shotguns(not slugs), handguns (with that ammo), or my Good 'ol .22LR is all I'll use indoors for protection.

OH.. that and my two Pit bulls...hehe. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about using my gun with them in the house :)

That's whay I use these... No better ammo IMHO.

Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

.223 rounds for home protection is just plain dumb in urban areas.. that round is soo fast it's a danger to everybody past what you're shooting at... even if you hit them.

Shotguns(not slugs), handguns (with that ammo), or my Good 'ol .22LR is all I'll use indoors for protection.

OH.. that and my two Pit bulls...hehe. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about using my gun with them in the house :)

Yes sir, I would never suggest gun control and sorry some took it that way. Just simply suggesting he maybe using the wrong tool for the job. It's only sheet rock in between you and your kids and neighbors.

never shot an ar-15. here in NY its usually my AK-47, or an occasional psistol grip pump shotgun, depending on who is breaking into the house.

it should not be used for home protection as it will go through several things before that round is stopped. as a police officer i have seen what .223 round can do which includes going throught bullet proof vests:eek: , dumpsters, brick walls and 12 inch thick trees. however, it is excellent as far as accuracy.

As far as penetration goes, what sort of characteristics does the 30.06, 158 gr. round my M1 Garand fires compare to the .223? I'm using the CMP fmj surplus ammo primarily.