Are Chrome a Good Ground Conductor?

josefigue

Hi Guys;I chromed the ignition and coil pack base plus the bracket.Im a little worry that I may have problems with the necessary ground connection to the ignition.Are chrome a good conductor?
What do you think? Thanks :confused:

chrome is an excellent conductor and due to its resistance to corrosion its a better contact point than steel or aluminum
what you need to be carefull of is powdercoat , it doesnt conduct

I'm not so sure on that.... Chrome trailer hitch balls don't ground till the chrome wears off. I'll test it at work with our conductivity meter and compare it to the IACS (International Anneal Copper Standard) and steel.

ill be waiting here for the test result :)

would that be a chrome ball in a powdercoated receiver attached to a powdercoated hitch and a trailer with a powdercoated ball receiver
trailer should have a dedicated ground in the wiring to the tow vehicle

ill be waiting here for the test result :)

would that be a chrome ball in a powdercoated receiver attached to a powdercoated hitch a trailer with a powdercoated ball receiver
Nope that would be a rental trialer attached to a brandnew ball on a bumper hitch on a 97 GMC Sierra Z71.

A primary reason why chrome is durable & doesn't rust is because it inherently forms a very thin film of chromium oxide on its surface. Thin chromium oxide is partly conducting, but not as well as zinc, tin, or copper.

IMHO, i would sand the chrome in a small spot, enough to dull it, directly under the electrical wire or terminal connection.

Chrome conducts very good but there should be a ground strap that also helps out - I think it also grounds the Power Master at the same place on the fire wall.

With engine out I refinished the firewall and had to grind some paint just for a ground strap - want more contact than just the threads of a sheet metal screw.

"josefigue", don't worry, you'll be ok...:smile: I've been running my ccar with lots of chrome undre the hood, including the coil pack base and bracketry with no problem whatsoever...

Claude :cool:

If your worried about the ground do what i did and ran a hidden ground wire to all the grounds and then to the battery you cant see it but it works awsome