Astroroof 87 WE4 Issues

TurboSkunk15

Installed a new seal in my 87 WE4. The old seal was shot and I noticed some dampness in the interior. My car
having no rust or rot I had to fix it. The new seal wouldn't allow the roof to return flush to the roof of the car. I drove in the rain it was like being on the maiden of the mist car got soaked inside.
After some advice from some really helpful members on here, I added a thin layer of wax, lubricated the tracks and installed a window turbo ( motor was working fine but the extra juice seems to have helped ) and it has made a night and day difference above is a video of how its closing now. The new seal needs some time also to conform to the roof so I'm leaving it closed for a few days and then I plan to water test it. fingers crossed

I need a new seal, too. How was the install? Wouldn’t mind one of those turbo’s either lol all my windows craaawwwwwllllll.

IIRC the headliner does not need to come down to do the seal on the astro -roof. I replaced the one in my car years ago and managed to pull the glass out without pulling the headliner. On my ASC roof car it all came out.

IIRC the headliner does not need to come down to do the seal on the astro -roof. I replaced the one in my car years ago and managed to pull the glass out without pulling the headliner. On my ASC roof car it all came out.

was too nervous I’d break the glass. That’s why I️ had a buddy do it.
Was it a bitch that way ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was too nervous I’d break the glass. That’s why I️ had a buddy do it.
Was it a bitch that way ?

Honestly, I do not remember if it was bad or not. I don't think it was too terrible. It was my second TR as my first one was stolen 10 years earlier. I do remember I did it by myself and ordered the OEM GM seal from Kirban. I was hesitant about pulling the headliner so I found a DIY and pulled the glass, cleaned it all up and re-installed with no issues. Later, when it was painted, the body shop put tape on it and tore it a little. :mad:

Its better to take the whole thing down. The kit should have had two seals. One for the glass and one for the steel tub.Another real good thing to do is blow out front drain hoses and remove rears and make longer ones and have them exit through bottom of quarter. The way they came with hoses dumping on top of inner wheel house was a great design.

On my WE4 I bought new they exited one rear drain into the trunk from the factory....

Luckily I bought the service manual with the car and figured it out myself, right after the dealer burned up my trunk carpet with a drop light trying to "fix" it.

Ah the memories..... :eek::oops::rolleyes:

On my WE4 I bought new they exited one rear drain into the trunk from the factory....

Luckily I bought the service manual with the car and figured it out myself, right after the dealer burned up my trunk carpet with a drop light trying to "fix" it.

Ah the memories..... :eek::oops::rolleyes:
You STILL have that WE4?? I remember when it was 'nice'..........;)

I had the same problem as you with my astroroof replacement seal, my glass is not flush with the roof panel. do u have any pics of roof closed so I can compare to my install?

I had the same problem as you with my astroroof replacement seal, my glass is not flush with the roof panel. do u have any pics of roof closed so I can compare to my install?
I don't have any, The video should give a good idea of how it sits. Ill take a picture for you thins weekend as long as it clear out the car is covered currently.
Did you try a little wax on the seal ? how long has it been on ?