Austin Area - Newbie to GN but not Buicks

TXGS

Hi All, I am looking for some guidance from some of the Turbo Buick guys in the Austin Area. I bought a GN on Saturday and would like some help getting started on some of the important issues on these cars.

Anyone down in the Austin area that can help Phil out? It's a 87 with minor mods, just needs some spring cleaning and regular maintenance done to get it ready for a daily cruiser.

Here is that site I told you about Phil. www.gnttype.org

I'll help all I can but I'm up in Dallas.

Phil is a good guy and not afraid to get his hands dirty. Some of you may know him from helping run the X Bash events down in Temple..

Hey is Todd King still in the Austin Texas area I bought his silver car from him and would love to touch base with him

Todd did live in the area but have lost track of all the guys who were here. Some have moved and some have passed on. If I meet up with him along the way I will be sure to let him know you were looking to touch base.

Thanks David, for all the help. It is like starting the whole car hobby over with this 87 GN.

Todd did live in the area but have lost track of all the guys who were here. Some have moved and some have passed on. If I meet up with him along the way I will be sure to let him know you were looking to touch base.
Thanks Very Much!

Well Looks like I am on my own. I got a new DW 300 pump, Hotwire Kit, Vacuum Booster and Master Cylinder. This will help me get the repairs that are needed sorted out.

Here is a couple pictures of my car.

Attachments

• GN-1.jpg
    GN-1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 85
  • GN.jpg
    GN.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 73
No, you aren't on your own. There are lots of folks here willing to help. You just need to be more specific. :)

If you get stuck, post up questions, someone will step in and help/advise/provide guidance.

As with all things, listen to advice with a bit of skepticism, form a consensus, and make decisions from there. My two cents worth is first, if the car doesn't have one, get yourself a Scan Master.

You're on the right site, lots of very smart people here.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
I'm in Austin too now. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on my car myself but getting a few minor issues worked out is high on my list of priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the spring cleaning may be outdated but it should give you a good idea of what to start with. Do a search on this site before you buy parts so you can see what the latest part recommendations are. (Like plugs, trans fluid and plug wires) there are a lot of GN owners in Texas. I'm sure someone will pop up here soon.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in the area? I have a rear main leak that I need taken care of that I don't want to mess with.

These cars are like old Harley's. They all leak a little oil. The rear main seal isn't that hard to do. Buy the new neoprene type seal and it's easy to do. Sometimes it's hard to tell where the oil coming from. I have assumed it was the rear main before and then later figured out (after doing the rear main) that it was the passenger side valve cover. With the tall valve covers I have on the car to clear the rockers it was easier to change the rear main than the VC gasket.

Before you go to all the trouble of changing a rear main seal, make sure that's really what the issue is.

Could be oil blowing past the PVC and running back on the intake and then down the back of the engine. Could be valve covers. These things tend to push oil out of anything that will allow it past when they are under boost. :confused:

Jus' sayin'.

Hmm. It leaks ever so slightly while sitting. Or perhaps it just leaks while driving and then pools after? I'll poke around.

Ok, so first update. I installed a new DW300 pump, a new fuel sender, and a hotwire kit. While I was there I replaced the rubber lines on top of the tank and those in the fuel line up by the passenger side frame. This allows the car to start much better however I believe the IAC is needing to be replaced. I put one on order today and hope to have it in next week. A big thanks to David Newton for being a great mentor for me. I appreciate your advice!