Automatic Weapons

87ttypeV8

cant beat the boost!
well i am big into guns and love to shoot!
does anyone know if it is now legal to own an automatic weapon?

i have heard all over CNN they will tell what happened with the ban but nowhere i have heard

well it was a ban originated in 1994 and bush was going to have to resign it into effect today... just HOPING he didnt... if not HK-7 here i come.

just wondering if someone could post some info on this and i hate reading CNN.com for info

The ban that was allowed to expire at midnight only made it legal for assault style weapons as well as high capacity magazines to be produced and/or imported in the United States. It did not affect the stringent requirements to legally own a fully automatic weapon. (I believe that was/used to be called a Class III license?)

The government needs to HAMMER people who use guns of ANY style when performing criminal acts, not make it impossible for honest, law abiding citizens to enjoy their right to purchase and own firearms of any design, assault style or not. When it comes to defending my home, I want to be able to legally own assault weapons if that's my choice. You can be damned sure the criminals don't care what THEY are using.

We have WAY too damn much government in our lives already. This was a STUPID, knee-jerk law that Clinton ram rodded through. It needed to go away.

I don't think the assault weapons ban made much sense.

My H&K USP .40 handgun was no longer available for sale with the 13 round magazine, but a 10 round mag was ok? Seriously... what's that going to change except raise the prices on used gun magazines??

And, some guns were banned but others were not. I think a lot of this was just because the lawmakers (or whomever made the decisions) didn't know what they were doing and were just going on appearance. You couldn't buy a AR15 with collapsible stock, but you could buy an 18" barrel 12 gauge shotgun with pistol grip and legally add a 8 shot mag extension?

WTF?

How many gun crimes were REALLY commited with "assault weapons"? I remember seeing a figure once that it was something like .01%.

How many of ALL gun crimes were commited by people that obtained the gun illegally, or should have not had one in the first place (i.e.: convicted fellon buying a pistol).

Why put new laws into place when the current ones aren't enforced???

Just my $.02

I'll tell ya my personal fav of these "cop killing assault wepons. You know how Intratec got the "used" 32 round mags for their tech-err, ABS-10? A cop can legally buy high capacity magazines, so if I take one and insert it into a mag as a cop it's now a "used" magazine. Either that or the cops auctioning off assault riffles. And on the last part, crap the market's gonna fall outa my M-16 high capacity mags, didn't offload mine in time :/

Originally posted by J Banning
I don't think the assault weapons ban made much sense.

My H&K USP .40 handgun was no longer available for sale with the 13 round magazine, but a 10 round mag was ok? Seriously... what's that going to change except raise the prices on used gun magazines??

And, some guns were banned but others were not. I think a lot of this was just because the lawmakers (or whomever made the decisions) didn't know what they were doing and were just going on appearance. You couldn't buy a AR15 with collapsible stock, but you could buy an 18" barrel 12 gauge shotgun with pistol grip and legally add a 8 shot mag extension?

WTF?

How many gun crimes were REALLY commited with "assault weapons"? I remember seeing a figure once that it was something like .01%.

How many of ALL gun crimes were commited by people that obtained the gun illegally, or should have not had one in the first place (i.e.: convicted fellon buying a pistol).

Why put new laws into place when the current ones aren't enforced???

Just my $.02

What do Dimwits think when they back a law like this....

your average gangbanger, street thug, convenience store robber etc is NOT using a 1000 plus dollar Assault rifle...they are using a pawn shop special that they bought out of the back of a trunk for a hundred bucks.

The problem is the high profile attention that the few actual assault weapons incidents drew. It was all over the news and everyone went into a state of panic.

The actual law was such a stupid attempt that if it weren't so sad ....it would have actually been funny.

If I hear one more time that we will now be able to buy machine guns at the local 7-11 I think I will puke.

On ABC radio today they had a congresswomen who was mental over the ban expiration and they said "her husband was killed by an assault weapon".

I thought the Long Island subway murderer, Colin Ferguson, had a 9mm handgun?

Originally posted by UNGN
On ABC radio today they had a congresswomen who was mental over the ban expiration and they said "her husband was killed by an assault weapon".

I thought the Long Island subway murderer, Colin Ferguson, had a 9mm handgun?

That's correct. Glock 9mm I believe.

YES THEY ARE

In some states, autos are illegal. but according to federal regulations, any citizen can purchase a class 3 weapon as long as you have a class 3 licencse. some states have laws against autos, so even if you have a class 3, you still cant own that type of weapon in that state. it costs alot of dough for the class 3 and the tax stamps in order to own one. i am a weapons instructor and i personally think that even though autos are cool as hell, they are a waste of ammo and only soldiers should have them. semi auto is plenty good for the average shooter. if you cant do it with one round, you wont be able to do it with thirty.:cool:

HA.....you guys are soooo lucky you don't live in Massachusetts !! This state Gov. really SUCKS on gun owner rights here. If they had their way, only Law Enforcement would have weapons. The average law abiding citizen has to basically prove to the towns chief of police that there is a reason to own a firearm. It's the town's chief of police, where you reside, who has the discretion to decide who may or may not own, much less carry a firearm !! The laws have gotten better since the Dukakis era of government but not by much. It used to be that even though you were a legal and registered gun owner, If someone was to invade your home and threatened bodily harm.......you were required by law to find the nearest exit to the premisis and try to get away from the intruder before introducing a weapon for personal protection of life and property !!! Think about that one, for all of you " Kerry for president " lovers. If I remember right, Kerry was the Massachusetts State Attorney General at the time. It's such a shame that we in Massachusetts have to fight for the very basic right to even own a weapon here, much less bicker over high capacity magazines and assault weapons. Do some research on our state gun laws and you'll see where i'm coming from !! GOD BLESS TEXAS !!!!
Darrell.

This means I can throw out the baby clip & put the 70 round drum in the AK now right :D Don't worry, the big drum hasn't been removed from "Bessie" since 1990 & never will be. Fire away:)

here ya go

[title 18 united states code (o) (2)] you can own and transfer an automatic weapon as long as youre licensced and the weapon was manufactured before may 19 1986.:D

Can somebody please educate me? Are the pro-ban folks the same ones who want to put 75mph top speed limiters on ALL cars in the U.S.?

Not that I'm pro- or anti- assault weapon, but what do you guys do with a fully automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine? Shoot herds of slow moving quadripeds?

Just to be clear, no one has fully automatic guns with the exception of Dealers, Law enforcement, Very rich gun collectors that would prolly have a dealer license anyway.

Re: YES THEY ARE

Originally posted by blackbird
if you cant do it with one round, you wont be able to do it with thirty.:cool:

Living proof, but in your case it was more like 140 rounds fully auto.

Originally posted by Turbo-Archie
Just to be clear, no one has fully automatic guns with the exception of Dealers, Law enforcement, Very rich gun collectors that would prolly have a dealer license anyway.

You need a Class III to have a fully automatic gun.

Anyone can go out and buy an AK or a Colt or whatnot. But they are semi automatic (like you need automatic anyways).

I like guns and such, but noone should have an automatic weapon, thats getting pretty stupid.

This means I can throw out the baby clip & put the 70 round drum in the AK now right Don't worry, the big drum hasn't been removed from "Bessie" since 1990 & never will be. Fire away

Now thats what i'm talking about, I got my Mak90 and trying to find a drum for it.

The need argument - no one should need a fully automatic weapon.
Maybe that's true, but then again no one but professional baseball players - who depend on the sport for a living - needs a baseball bat.
If I recall correctly, there has never been a legally purchased fully automatic weapon used in the commission of a crime.
Lawful citizens have the right to own firearms.
I believe that the founding fathers were smart enough to foresee that guns would evolve into stronger, more efficient, more reliable tools; and they still included the Second Ammendment in the Constitution of the United States.