b4black '82 GN project

b4black

I bought my first '82 Turbo GN in 1989. A few years later, I had the opportunity to by another. This second '82 Turbo GN was in rough shape, but I bought and drove it for a few years until the trans went out. I had plans to make this into a race car. Restore one to original and another to play with. Nothing too crazy. Keep it mostly original, but not worry about it being perfect or 100% correct. No big block 455 or SFI/IC turbo - it's an '82 GN and I want to see what I can do with the carb/turbo..... ;)

Life got in the way for long time, but the kids are older, and I finally have the a little extra money and a little extra time. So I finally started a couple of weeks back. Out comes the junkyard 3.8....
IMAG1270.jpg

Cant wait to see the results keep us informed THANK GOD someone is tweaking an 82grand national and not just looking at it

Wow that was my first gn sport coupe wen i was 16. Baught it for800 had a 907 title.. Wow I killed that car put all 87 body parts left the carb turbo put it in black primer burned rubber every corner with one tire... Lol thaught i was the man lol. Brings back memories. Good luck with ur project.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Nice to see you out there working on this Rich. Can you give us an idea of what you plan on doing to her or do you want to keep things somewhat secret.

Interesting project Rich, really like the '82 dash and header/grille.

A little more on this car.... It's out of New Jersey. The wiring was hacked up, the emissions stuff was gone, the DS exhaust manifold was broken in two pieces (no boost), the sway bar link was broken, the trans was hemorrhaging fluid and the engine wasn't doing much better keeping the oil on the inside. It was repainted charcoal gray, but the silver can be found under the trim pieces that were taped around.

For the most part, it will be stock with similar tweaks as my '83 T Type. It will get a 4.1 V6 - I always wanted to do a 4.1 since the the '82 GN came with a 4.1 standard - just a 4.1 Turbo in this case. The block I have even happens to be a 1982 casting. I'll share more on that as I go along.

First the wiring needed to be address. For the ECM harness, that means the fender needs to come off. And that starts with the header panel coming off. Looking at all the caked on dirt & oil, sure seems easier to clean and paint with the core support and other fender out of the way, so off they cme too.

IMAG1295.jpg

Since this is a car that was in the rust belt I see a can of worms getting opened.:( Hopefully it's not as bad as my 82 is.;) I've got a spare firewall forward harness if you need it Rich.:D

Still looks pretty much the same, but I have made progress. Spent hours and hours scrapping oil and goo from the frame and floorboard. Painted everything satin black. Heater core was repalced and the AC box resealed (thanks for the help Dave!) The steering column wasn't original and had issues, so that's been swapped with another from an '82 GN. The front bumper had a steel reinforcement - happen to find an aluminum one at the junkyard (which is why the parking lights went from clear to orange in the above pictures). Added the missing body bushing at positions #3 and #4 (#7 still to come). Rustwise, the underside is great - tanks to all that oil. ;)

Found good wiring harnesses. I had planned to go with 1983 wiring and ECM in order to use the newer knock snesor, but they are subtle differances that make it complicated. I'm going to go with 1982 ECM for now. It works with the 350C trans to provide lock up in all gears at WOT.

Speaking of the 350C - here it is! Back from Trans Pro in Lansing, IL
IMAG1378.jpgIMAG1379.jpg

Stayed with the lockup. That's a 10" 2800 stall converter. 5 clutch direct drum. Shift kit. Deep aluminum pan.

Time start putting things back together! :D

I just got a 81 project from a member. needs a drivetrain , interor and paint but its nice and straight

Where are you guys finding these cars? Oh well, I don't know shit about carbs anyway:rolleyes:

i'm on CL about 2hrs/day.. i've found more cars than i'd know what to do with. i've had my wife threaten to make me sleep in them if brought another home.:oops:
i used to have no less than 3 projects at a time. now i'm down to two, and when the gas tank for my 260z comes back from being resealed i'll have to get rid of it to make room/time for our baby due this month (it's not one of my favorite projects.. but i couldn't pass it up.) normally she lets me do what i want but she's in this nesting mode right now.

the Carb'd turbo car i just bought will be here to stay. its an '80 turbo'd Monte Carlo w/t tops, 100% original i got for $600 b/c the owner (old non-car guy) couldn't get it to keep running.

i got it home, changed the spark plugs, oil, antifreeze and air filter, and battery and she fired on the first crank. i won't complain.

if you're ever in the need of a new project search on searchcraigs.com, it searches the entire U.S. its not perfect and i've found some that it's missed but its also helped alot.

i'm on CL about 2hrs/day.. i've found more cars than i'd know what to do with. i've had my wife threaten to make me sleep in them if brought another home.:oops:
i used to have no less than 3 projects at a time. now i'm down to two, and when the gas tank for my 260z comes back from being resealed i'll have to get rid of it to make room/time for our baby due this month (it's not one of my favorite projects.. but i couldn't pass it up.) normally she lets me do what i want but she's in this nesting mode right now.

the Carb'd turbo car i just bought will be here to stay. its an '80 turbo'd Monte Carlo w/t tops, 100% original i got for $600 b/c the owner (old non-car guy) couldn't get it to keep running.

i got it home, changed the spark plugs, oil, antifreeze and air filter, and battery and she fired on the first crank. i won't complain.

if you're ever in the need of a new project search on searchcraigs.com, it searches the entire U.S. its not perfect and i've found some that it's missed but its also helped alot.

I know your pain all to well! To many cars! Not enough space or wifely permission!:D

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yeah but the problem is most are garbage and I refuse to restore another car unless it's a 455 GS