Weight transfer...

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I am restoring my GN and already had coil overs at the rear but now I've added some on the front. I've also added an aluminum radiator support and a fiberglass hood. What can I now expect from the car on launch? --> I want fun, WHEELS UP LAUNCHES and would like to know how to adjust the suspension to allow doing that? I don't mind losing a tenth but I want the car to leave with the front wheels up in the air.
Also, I remember seeing some racers using a "weight box" mounted in their trunk into they can add or remove weights as needed for more weight transfer... I wonder if that would help...
thanks for your comments,

Claude. ;)

Check with Cotton's Performance for fun wheels up launches!
Cotton Performance.jpg

:ROFLMAO: Me Jack and Brian will bounce on the rear bumper when you smash the peddle down!

Like this?
GS_NATS_2011_Wild_Jeff.jpg

Claude, start here.
Kevin has been around here for many yrs.
If the times you have in your signature are what you have to work with, it should be easy to stand it up. How far, depends on what your "pucker factor" can take. :D
Get crazy, you best install a pair of "SYA" bars, to help with keeping the oil pan on the engine. Yes, there is such a bar made.

Claude, did you wear your car at all four corners? What is the total weight?

I know it has been suggested to you in the past, but have you change the front bumper to fiberglass?

What else have you done since the restoration to get more weight off the front of your car?

I know your car is heavily option and I think it’s great that you keep it that way, I wouldn’t sacrifice any of that stuff to remove weight.

If you don’t have a traction problem and the car doesn’t go up I wouldn’t worry that Much about the photo op.

We used to tune gen 3 Camaro stockers, with my control arms, and Random Technology torque arms. The key to get them to get up on the tire really quickly, was the converter, and a loose ft end. Excessive pitch rotation is a sure way, to increase "pucker factor"!:oops::D
My "mostest fun" ride, w/ the wheels hangin', was a ft engine rail, on sauce. 3' in the air, and all you can see is the back of the inj stacks! Wahoo!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Joey, while restoring the car, I tried to remove as much weight as possible but keeping in mind that this is a street driven car. (Last time I went to Bowling Green KY, the car weighed 3,800 pounds with me in it.) I will now be having coil overs with chrome moly tubular a-arms on all four corners. I've also added a fiberglass hood, an aluminum radiator support, removed the front bumper reinforcement as well as the "beams" inside both doors, etc... I just hope that I haven't done that for nothing and that it will eventually "pay off". :unsure:
What I need to know is if there 's a way to adjust the coil overs to get maximum weight transfer? I my car would launch like the picture of Jack's car posted by "longball", Id be so happy! As for the yellow convertible, well it might be a little too much...
and... Chuck, what are "SYA" bars!
Thanks,

Claude.;)

What I need to know is if there 's a way to adjust the coil overs to get maximum weight transfer? I my car would launch like the picture of Jack's car posted by "longball", Id be so happy! As for the yellow convertible, well it might be a little too much...
and... Chuck, what are "SYA" bars!
Adjustable coil overs can be used to control the shock action.. A dbl adjust shock is the correct choice, as it allows for compression and rebound control. The springs are the wt support part.
With the dbl adj shocks, you can allow for easy ft rise, and also slow down the compression. Keeps the ft end up for max wt transfer. Or, if it's too violent, calm the separation down.
Tires are a big consideration, too.
Also, never too much HP!

SYA bars = http://rpmmotorsportsnc.com/i-13994997-madman-sya-bars.html
Actually means "save your ass".
As you sort thru the tuning of the suspension, remember this. "Girls squat, race cars don't". :D

Claude, I know you have been looking for the big wheelie for a long time. But just remember there's a lot of important shit under that front end. Not to long ago, Brian put another customers car on the rear bumper. It ended up back on the trailer to have everything put back together at the shop after it came down real hard.

I remember the day when he made the pass in my signature below. I told him before the run "please keep it on the ground. This is a street car. I have to drive this thing home!" I didn't care much about the 1.6 second 60' foot time. As long as the MPH was good.

Please be careful. I can't wait to see your car finished. I'm know it's going to be absolutely spectacular! It was spectacular even before you began this restoration process! It was so nice, many even wondered why you even did this.

Don't bust it up before I get to see it!

Thank you Chuck and Joey for your replies.
Chuck, I do have double adjustable shocks all around but I guess I haven't learned to adjust it correctly, in fact I feel like everyone has it's own little "secret recipe" about this, do not share it, and you have to come up with your own. :rolleyes:
Joey, I don't want to "put it on the bumper" just a nice wheelie (1~2 feet) on every run would make me happy and shouldn't make the car come down too hard. As for restoring my car, I know it was nice before I started but I felt that after 30 years of use and abuse, it needed to be "freshened up" a little... I took that opportunity to fix a few things (install aluminum rad support, remove beams in the doors, install the tubular front control arms and coil-overs, reupholster the headliner, install some GNX vents in the front fenders, grind, sand paint the fiberglass hood (it's now as smooth under it as on top and we also added a color "power 6" logo imbedded in clear on the underside), I also bought some custom-made "Grand National" stainless steel emblems (from "Coach"), etc... but you know as well as me that doing this right takes time and patience and it often doesn't go as fast as you'd like it to go. Next, I have to bring the car to Jack so Brian can install my engine back in it, tune it and (maybe) take it to the track for some testing. I'm also going to have to buy new rear tires for it and will probably go with sticky drag radials instead of slicks.
I sometimes wonder how old I'm going to be when everything is done!... :D

Claude.