Ball Bearing or Journal

I've Build a Stroker motor and I want a 6766 Turbo, do it really makes a difference between the ball bearing or journal. The turbos are like $850.00 apart, so if I purchase the Ball Bearing I might as well purchase the PT6870 which is 200.00 difference from the 6766*Is the $850.00 worth spending.

spool up is noticably faster in a ball bearing when compared to journal. I was in the same situation you are, minus the stroker build, debating with myself about turbos. while a 6766 bb would probably take you far enough for your goals whatever they may be, for roughly the same price like you said why not go with the 6870. I got a 6870 bb and it spools just fine on the street and is definitely not all in on my combo, I love it. just be sure to get a converter spec'd with your combo so everything's happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bought my 6262 when it was first introduced I went with the JB version. The money I saved bought other stuff for the car. Low gear tuning has it spooling pretty damn quick.

I have always said get what you want so you never regret what you did get ifn you can afford to and the wifey does not act silly. That is ifn you have one.

Once you go ball bearing you will most likely never go back . Spool up is a lot faster . The only down side is the expense .

I've Build a Stroker motor and I want a 6766 Turbo, do it really makes a difference between the ball bearing or journal. The turbos are like $850.00 apart, so if I purchase the Ball Bearing I might as well purchase the PT6870 which is 200.00 difference from the 6766*Is the $850.00 worth spending.
Bb is much faster.with the buicks since they don't make a lot of rpm having the turbo lite up faster is much more enjoyable till you over power the tire or chassis on a street car.if you have a track car with the correct build I wouldn't bother with bb and there are other scenarios where bb isn't necessary like a killer build and converter setup.if you have a mild build with too big of a turbo the bb helps.

I have had a few turbos both BB and non BB. On the street from a roll the BB is waaaayy more fun to drive. From a 30 mile per hour roll the BB gets up and goes where the JB is a turtle to get up on boost. I have no regrets spending the extra $$$ on a BB turbo and would do it again.

I currently have a 6765 DBB on a stroker motor and the boost is instant. I think it spools as fast as when I had a stock motor and a GT3255. If you have the $$ to spend you wont regret it. My $.02.

I have a 6870 2GEN dual ball bearing 4 bolt turbo for sale if your interested that I can sell you much cheaper than buying it brand new. Used for less than 3 months on a car that is not a daily driver. Pm me

I have always said get what you want so you never regret what you did get ifn you can afford to and the wifey does not act silly. That is ifn you have one.

I'll bet the wifey has put the kibosh on many a TR owners dreams...... Many...

Most of the time you have the option on having them watercooled I personally have just went with the oil cooled turbos due to the less pluming having to do to add the water cooling

Im a journal bearing guy. For me, I just can't justify a little bit faster spool up being worth an extra $800. With a good converter the journal bearing with spool just fine. I would think with extra cubic inches from a stroker build, it would spool just fine. With that said, the next turbo im considering is a 6466 which only comes in ball bearing so I may end up having to bite the bullet and pay the extra money for ball bearing at some point.

Last edited:
Im a journal bearing guy. For me, I just can't justify a little bit faster spool up being worth an extra $800. With a good converter the journal bearing with spool just fine. I would think with extra cubic inches from a stoker build it would spool just fine. With that said, the next turbo im considering is a 6466 which only comes in ball bearing so I may end up having to bite the bullet and pay the extra money for ball bearing at some point.
Have you had a ball bearing turbo before ? It’s night and day difference imo . If you swapped out your journal bearing for a good DBB leaving everything else the same I’m positive you would feel a noticeable difference in power . It would hit sooner and harder .

6766 journal bearing would be fine if you have good converter. BB spool faster from 1-5psi...that's it. But that's what ya want for the street. Stop light to stop light..etc. I would only buy a BB but I'm not saying I'm right.

Or you can do what some of these dorks do and jam a tiny .63 housing on there to increase spool up. Omfgosh

Bb lites up faster period from a footbrake launch,And just about any roll type race you want to do.one can also run slightly tighter on the converter.on the bigger turbos it's much more pleasureable,the smaller turbos I would say it's overkill unless converter is way to tight for setup.

Im a journal bearing guy. For me, I just can't justify a little bit faster spool up being worth an extra $800. With a good converter the journal bearing with spool just fine. I would think with extra cubic inches from a stroker build, it would spool just fine. With that said, the next turbo im considering is a 6466 which only comes in ball bearing so I may end up having to bite the bullet and pay the extra money for ball bearing at some point.
Bison can build you a jb 6466... i like the one i have.