Bare Block, Cleaning Tips...

Blown&Injected

Good Evening:

You guys got any tips or tricks?

I have almost everything I need to get it together and am about to do a soap and water wash out with brushes to get all the oil passages. The pistons and rings will be reused.

The stuff I have found on the web about cleaning pistons is downright scary!

Reusing the roller lifters and rockers/shafts and pushrods; pistons and rings and rods...and the crank.

The crank just went in the sink with hot water, Dawn, and a small brush to go thru all th oil passages. Wiped dry and blown off and out with air. Chased and washed the threads too...and not with a tap.

Thank You.
B&I

My only tip is take it to a competent machine shop and have it all properly cleaned in the washer.

Doesn't need to be washed, even after a hot tank...if that is what ya meant about taking it to a shop?

Nobody tanks anymore, they're illegal.

What I'm saying is a machine shop has a proper washer and a set of tools and will deliver a clean block.

Illegal....I guess I am a bit behind the times, that is why I ask here.
So am I to trust the cleaning to be build ready? Massive effort goes into measuring everything, and ensuring everything is just right. What is this new , errrr new to me, washing technique I should seek?

WOW, you are in KY...I am in MD, so if you say it is illegal, I am sure it has been illegal here for some time now.

A Rifle or Shotgun cleaning kit is handy for cleaning oil passages. You can purchase bottle type brushes of various diameters from Summit, Jegs, etc.

Caustic filled "hot tanks" have mostly been replaced with a baking in an oven & then a shot peening process. After that, the parts are placed into a jet washer that rotates & has multiple spray nozzles. Last time I went through an engine, I still cleaned after the machine shop had washed it. I found a few gritty things here & there.

Moroso makes a brush cleaning kit for all the passages bores everything that and hot soapy water just like you're saying as soon as you're done go over the machine surfaces with some WD-40 you're good to go it's how I build all my engines and I do a bunch

To clean used pistons I use Jasco paint remover with a follow up of Super Clean. Use the paint remover to remove the heavy deposits. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Then spray them with Super Clean. Rinse and dry.
P1010924.JPGP1010961.JPG

Good god. I just read a post of a clusterfuck of an engine (that's most likely going to eat itself soon), and now this one...

Please say this is a troll post. (even though I have a feeling it's not).

Jet wash pistons then soda blast..
Jet wash again, Like new...

The key with the block is heat. Our jet wash is hot and the parts that come out will burn your hands..