Best trans choice...

Goat

I heart Boost and DRs...
I have a powerglide and a turbo 400. The 200r4 is ruined. So now I do believe its going more race then anything with hardly no street time.

What do ya recommend?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app while doing 134 on I-20...

Perhaps the additional cost and complexity of an overdrive transmission is no longer beneficial?

The TH40o is less costly than an overdrive transmission and needs very few aftermarket hard parts to handle a lot of torque. Converter will be less expensive as well. I have had great results from JW Performance converters.

This web page on CK's site shows the parts needed to build a very decent TH400:
http://ckperformance.com/resources/GMTH400PARTSLISTFORMID9SECONDBUILD.html

Maybe a Powerglide is more appropriate for engines producing a broader torque output (area under the curve) or for a light car.

I'm looking for something that won't be a problem at the race track.

Sent while waiting for boost to build...

Mods to your car are going to be a big part of picking a trans. How fast is the car now? How much power are you making? Who's 200 were you running and what was done to it? Your making big power if you ruined a 200r4. I will be between 5-600hp and I will run a 200r4. There are cars out there making way more power than that and still running the 200r4. I would call Lonnie and start asking him what he thinks. He builds 200r4 and th400 transmissions most transmissions. I have a 400 for my car and was told not to use it if I'm not making big power. I thought 600hp was big powero_O I want the overdrive because I will drive my car to the track, run tens and take road trips with it. There are a lot of factors on the transmissions you want to run .Post that and a lot more people will chime in because they already have run just about every combo in these cars. good luck and open the check book.lol

If limited street use and more race than anything the 400 would be the best setup. 4L80 is a waste of money to only slow your car down.

Lonnie has the shift control box listed on his site for 550. That might be a special price when you buy his 4l80e. If you run Pro efi you dont need one. I dont know how a 4l80 will slow you down? I have a Mustang owner at work with an ls powered mustang that runs well into the nines. They are not cheap but they will take some abuse for sure. I would call Lonnie and see what he thinks he builds a killer 200r4, Th400 and a 4l80e among others

I dont know how a 4l80 will slow you down?

We measured 74 RWHP loss from 2004R to 4L80E in a Buck GN I done a conversion on two years. 1 weekend with 200 next weekend with the 80.

The main reason I would not recommend the 4L80E is only because he stated the car was limited street and mostly race car. I have no problem with a 4L80E build and sell them. There are nice qualities of an electronically shifted transmission. Great transmission but not for this application IMO. I just like guys to know what they are getting into when they buy. If someone thinks they will switch to 4L80 and go as fast or faster than 200, 400, 350 or 4L60 or just about any other automotive automatic they are in for big surprise. If rough and tuff are your goal and you need an overdrive and dont mind the added weight of 60-70lb , the 4L80 is the strongest of them all.

The price on my site is old and needs to be updated. Last 2 I purchased with shipping and wiring harness were about $650. Some of the others I hear go well over $1000

This back-to-back transmission test provides useful information, Lonnie. Thank you for doing the test and thanks for sharing the results.

Was this test done on a dyno?

This back-to-back transmission test provides useful information, Lonnie. Thank you for doing the test and thanks for sharing the results.

Was this test done on a dyno?

Yes Paul was done on a dynojet. Was not a planned test. The little 200 gave up the ghost on the first dyno session. Stock 200s dont last long when you making over 600 rwhp. Customer read typical internet expert opinions as to the reliability of the 200 and wanted it out of the car. (Amazing how a large numbers of successes get shadowed by a low percentage of failures.) He had a handicap and could not shift the car anyway so decided he wanted an electronic transmission to do the work for him. So we went with the 4L80 and vigilante converter with a PCS computer. Then finished the dyno tune. We ended up with 74 less than the weekend before. Like any test, there are variables like the converter. Maybe a little loss there. The bottom line was its a real number. He did not care, liked the electronic transmission and could sleep at night. So was a win win. I would not hesitate to use the 80. I would just use it for much higher HP situation and not a daily 500 HP driver. Or the situation where electronic control are desired more than performance. I am not a fan of the 4L60E gear ratios but for this situation I wish we would have went that direction.

I have a powerglide and a turbo 400. The 200r4 is ruined. So now I do believe its going more race then anything with hardly no street time.

What do ya recommend?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app while doing 134 on I-20...

Like others have asked how much power is the motor pushing ?? 400s are a no brainer and according to some guys they never break. So ya would just have to do it once.

4L80E is a beast. You won't ever break it! If you're worried about some hp loss, then just make it faster.... The reasons there's some hp loss is, the first gear ratio and, the internal parts are much heavy, it's a much more solid and powerful transmission. And it's a four speed so if you want, you can drive it on the street unlike the 400. Also, the trans brakes they have for them are street driven friendly as opposed to the 2004R. It's somewhat problematic when driving a 2004R on the street with a trans brake. I have a T/A stroker with a Precision 7675 cea and I'm not wasting $3,500 on a trans every year. And I drive my car maybe 700 miles a year. The 2004R just can't take that kind of power. A lot of vendors say they can but ultimately they can't and if they stand behind it you'll still have to pay the shop to swap it out for you. 4L80E = fun, 2004R = not fun. 4L80E once and be done with it.

4L80E is a beast. You won't ever break it! If you're worried about some hp loss, then just make it faster.... The reasons there's some hp loss is, the first gear ratio and, the internal parts are much heavy, it's a much more solid and powerful transmission. And it's a four speed so if you want, you can drive it on the street unlike the 400. Also, the trans brakes they have for them are street driven friendly as opposed to the 2004R. It's somewhat problematic when driving a 2004R on the street with a trans brake. I have a T/A stroker with a Precision 7675 cea and I'm not wasting $3,500 on a trans every year. And I drive my car maybe 700 miles a year. The 2004R just can't take that kind of power. A lot of vendors say they can but ultimately they can't and if they stand behind it you'll still have to pay the shop to swap it out for you. 4L80E = fun, 2004R = not fun. 4L80E once and be done with it.
just a few fact corrections. 4l80e transbrake problematic. Lose power to trans and locks up at any speed. 2004r you would never know its installed in any situation. Wish i could charge 3500 every year for every Stage 3. I would be retired. That statement is simply not true. Other than that its agreed its a big heavy strong brute of an overdrive. If you make the power its an option.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Like others have said and inquired - depends on your power point and what your true goals are for driving vs racing the car. I have an EA Stage II Trans that has sustained 6 trips to the track in the past 3 months with the majority in the mid-low 10 second passes and not even a lick of hint of trouble with shifts. I'm not here to plug Lonnie, but lots of experience building tranny's counts for something.

I didn't realize it when i owned my old stage II car, but I can vouch for the power loss of the 4L80E - it is noticeable. Converter options are limited too.

I had a EA 200 in my car when it was in 9 second ths trim. It had Lonnies electric brake in it. The only time you knew it was there was when you hit the button. It did not effect normal driving in any way. Was fast too, cut many .0xx lights on a pro tree with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

just a few fact corrections. 4l80e transbrake problematic. Lose power to trans and locks up at any speed. 2004r you would never know its installed in any situation. Wish i could charge 3500 every year for every Stage 3. I would be retired. That statement is simply not true. Other than that its agreed its a big heavy strong brute of an overdrive. If you make the power its an option.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app
Lonnie, would you recommend me using a 200 for my application. I have a T/A stroker motor with a PTE 7675 turbo. The reason I ask is I haven't made the purchase of the 4L80E yet for I'm still unsure what I'm going to use. But whatever I'm going to use I have to make the decision very soon. I hear so many different things and I'm not sure what to believe. The last thing that I want is a revolving charge at the transmission shop. I know your reputation and your knowledge is unmatched so I trust your judgement.

Lonnie, would you recommend me using a 200 for my application. I have a T/A stroker motor with a PTE 7675 turbo. The reason I ask is I haven't made the purchase of the 4L80E yet for I'm still unsure what I'm going to use. But whatever I'm going to use I have to make the decision very soon. I hear so many different things and I'm not sure what to believe. The last thing that I want is a revolving charge at the transmission shop. I know your reputation and your knowledge is unmatched so I trust your judgement.

That's a tough one. I feel very comfortable with a 2004r up to about 850ft lb or torque. Anything above that I would consider something else. If its one of my 200s and you exceed hp capability I take them in on trade toward something else. That turbo on kill has capability to go over 850tq.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app