You can type here any text you want

Best Vacuum Brake Conversion...different sizes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I'm looking to convert to Vacuum but I have read about different sizes of master cylinders, etc. as well as aluminum lightweight master cylinders out there. I thought I read somewhere that a Monte SS had a bigger one than standard gbodies? What do I need to look for and what is the size to get? I'm a dummy when it comes to vacuum brakes.

I follwed mine from a gn book. 88 monte ss vac booster, 1988 caprice master cyl and reservior. Also while you are at it,upgrade your rear wheel cyl to 85 s10 ones but w manual trans. I did this and brakes work awesome,cept when you need to do a panic stop. Pedal will be rock hard for split second. Also get a brake pedal from a vac brake gbody or drill hole in gn one..

87-88 Monte SS's have the larger double diaframe booster, just grab the entire setup with brake pedal. I have a booster and master if you need one.

some 90ish Caprices had an 11" dual diaphragm booster that is a bolt in swap into a G body- that's like double the power of one of those cute little 8" or so dual diaphragm boosters they put in G bodies.

I was looking at the caprice set up ,master and booster from a 92 caprice . As long as it has the 11 inch booster will this be the one to get? Or does it have to be the Police option?

I'm curious as well. I am going to a 4-wheel disc setup and also wondered what bore size I needed. Is bigger always better?

I was looking at the caprice set up ,master and booster from a 92 caprice . As long as it has the 11 inch booster will this be the one to get? Or does it have to be the Police option?

i think it has to be from an old "box" Caprice- so 90 and older. i think anything with the HD suspension and brakes- cop car, taxi cab, wagon.. you can get more info over at www.montecarloss.com

I'm looking to convert to Vacuum but I have read about different sizes of master cylinders, etc. as well as aluminum lightweight master cylinders out there. I thought I read somewhere that a Monte SS had a bigger one than standard gbodies? What do I need to look for and what is the size to get? I'm a dummy when it comes to vacuum brakes.

Practically every G-body car with vacuum brakes, 81 thru 87, came with the same dual diaphram booster and aluminum master cylinder. Some Montes came with single diaphram boosters. You still can probably get a set up at a boneyard off any G-body resident, cpe or 4 door. You can also use a B-body master cylinder which has a larger piston. Those would be off early thru mid 80s GM rear drive full size models.

This booster:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_remanufactured-power-brake-booster-cardone_18690010-p?searchTerm=vacuum booster

reviving this one from the dead. Seems to be a helpful post, but no followup form the OP :(

Is there anything wrong with just using the stock booster and master from say.... 87 V8 G body ?

The small dual diagram stock brake booster is junk. If u want cheep vacuum brakes use a 80 chev caprice booster 11 inch and a 87 monte ss master cylinder. ( larger bore ) now you can let the thread die again.

So the small diameter, dual diaphram booster is what i'd find on a 87 G body V8 car ?

Thank you. I just wanted to be clear, afterall, it is my brakes and i'd be pissed to do this and still have crap brakes. ;)

reviving this one from the dead. Seems to be a helpful post, but no followup form the OP :(

Is there anything wrong with just using the stock booster and master from say.... 87 V8 G body ?
Caprice police dual 11" diaphragm with aluminum master cylinder is direct fit. Thats what I used.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

So looking up 1980 Caprice, (it doesn't list a "police" option. Choosing V8 350 4bbl. I get this booster. Says 10.75" and not alum. master. Is this what your recommending ? I'd really like to have the alum. master.
Screen shot 2014-09-25 at 11.35.30 PM.png

and then there's this: 1987 Monte Carlo SS Shows dual diaphragm, but only 9"
Screen shot 2014-09-26 at 12.02.36 AM.png

Try 89 caprice. I believe that is what I used. But maybe someone else can chime in.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Back