beware of this ebay auction

Anyone email the high bidder? Though if he were smart he'd run a check himself.... It is a new account though, the guy could be bidding on his own car.

-Jade, who is normally a very trusting person

What an assclown! I don't mind people building "clones" as long as they don't try to pass them off as the real thing when it comes time to sell.

tjthorson,
Did you get a reply from him yet? Yeah, nice "upgrade". I'm thinking of upgrading to a carburetor next and then a mechanical fuel pump! Doh!

I sent him this message:

You need to change your ad for this car. Definitely a pre-1986 motor(not intercooled) and the VIN (if there's no Typo)comes back for an '86 Regal Limited with a 5.0 V8.
Nice looking car but it's being misrepresented (unintentionally, I'm sure).

Just trying to help you and potential buyers from lots of headaches.

Richard

I got a response....

I don't buy it, but I don't think she's intentionally defrauding anyone.

She says,

Before I bought the car I noticed the same thing, that it looks like an 85.
So, I called GM headquarters and they told me that it produced in late 85
and was sold and VIN'ed as an 86 in 86. They said it was a rare occurance,
but they have had other instances of this happening. Since all the paper
work that I on have on it says 86 and the VIN says 86, I listed that way. I
did include the engine picture, so this realiztion could be made. Please
feel free to send anymore questions that you may have.
Thanks,
Amber

85 or 86 GN

I appreciate all of your kind comments about me and my integrity on the web here, but I am not an expert on cars or a mechanic. When I bought this car, I did my homework and consulted with the professionals the supposedly built it "GM". The cars title from the last owner and mine say it is a 86 Buick Regal GN. 2 dealers confirmed that it is a genuine, all stock GN. I cannot advertise the car as an 85 when the title and history are documented as an 86. I put in a picture of the engine in order to show buyers the contents. I have only done to it what I said I have in my ad. I bought the car in the spring did some minor stuff, then found an 87 that was too beautiful to pass up, so I am selling this one for barely more then I paid.
=) Amber

You tell 'em Amber.

I think it'd be appropriate for the perjoratives to be edited out of the preceding posts, now that an explanation has been posted, guys. ("Assclown" for example.)

As we use to say in grade school.............

You guys just got beat up by a giiiiirrrrrrllllllllllllllllll.:D

My sincere apologies....

I appreciate your candor, Amber and wish you the best of luck with your car. It was inappropriate to resort to name-calling. I guess I'm just a little jaded from seeing so many "clones" being passed off as the genuine article (not just GN's but Chevelle SS's, Big Block 'Vettes, Hemi 'Cuda's , etc....) Please accept my apologies.

Having said that (head down, hat in hand) I wish you luck with such an "oddball" car. You'll probably sell it, but it'd probably be useful to you (or the new owner) to get some documentation from GM (if possible) to explain away the unusual features and circumstances of it's existance. I certainly don't know everything about GN's but I've never seen a car with a V.I.N. that was so far out of wack.

Please try to understand that the members of this board (of which you now are one, Welcome!) try to look out for each other, and frequently see cars on the 'net that are "questionable". When we do, we try to give each other a "heads up" on what we think is wrong. Unfortunately, it appears that I and some others jumped to some incorrect conclusions here.

BTW, I knew I had made that "assclown" comment and I'm the one who sent her the links to this post. So I wasn't "caught", I knew Amber would see this. I said something I shouldn't have and admitted I was wrong.

We certainly don't need to be calling any names. I find it interesting that I was the first one to notice, first one to email, and I didn't get a response. :rolleyes:

Amber - would it be possible to see a picture or list of the RPO (codes) on the label in the trunk? If this really is an 86, with an 85 drivetrain, and VINed as an 86 with a 307, it would be a very rare car. No one here has EVER heard of this, and there are people that have been around these cars for 18-19 years. I would think this should be documented because there may be more out there like this.

Oh, and Amber, this car is SO rare, the title even says GN??? All the GN titles I have ever seen have them listed as T-types. I would be curious to see that title too.

Thanks for taking the time to satisfy out curiosity on this really rare car! :D

Amber, since you new about the backround of the car before hand, maybe you should have included a brief explenation of the "mix up" in years and VIN info. in your ebay add. Maybe all this could have been prevented. good luck on your sale and welcome to the board

Originally posted by webleyaz
The VIN says it's an '86 limited with a 5.0.

Yep. Try matching the dash VIN to the trunklid VIN. Then look for the W11 (T Type) and WE2 (GN) codes. I bet the trunklid sticker ain't there.

I trust the VIN over the title. I never believe the late year production/hold over thing.

Easy to explain, IMO. Joe Schmoe wrecks '85 GN. Moves everthing over to '86 V8 Limited body. Keeps title of '86 body, but now calls it a Grand National (which isn't an offical body style).

It's a rebuilt salvage car, IMO. :(

that car has a hydroboost setup...which means if everything was swapped into that body, that drivetrain should be from an 84. Either way I'm really confused:confused:

I'd like to see a close up of the VIN and look at the pop rivets underneath. Nice people get taken advantage of sometimes and that is not their fault. It is their responsibility though once informed to find out for sure. I'm willing to bet it was a hot air car with a VIN swap. Doesn't it have hydro-boost brakes? Does it have the Turbo airbox decal?

The information I've obtained on an 86 GN is consistent with what b4black stated; the GN was not an official body style in 86. When I've entered the VIN number in CARFAX or in my insurance company's database, the car comes up as a 1986 Buick Regal T-Type. I think the only way to confirm if it is a true 1986 GN is the WE2 option code on the trunk label.

That is a damn shame that it is being sold as an 86 intercooled car, and it has a pre -86 non intercooled motor in it and there is no mention of it in the ad. How many people are specifically looking for the Intercooled cars and couldn't tell the difference from that vague engine picture in it. I'll bet someone e-mails the winning bidder and they back out of the deal.

My Title just says 1987 Buick Regal on my GN.