Bolting on ported head with port marched Champion CNC machined stock intake

1KWIKSIX

I’ve got some JB Racing ported heads with stainless steel valves & oversized I takes with a port matched Champion CNC machined (stock intake)
Planning on bolting these on over the winter with engine in the car, leaving the stock cam in place.
Can anyone tell me what kind of performance gains or losses I can expect to experience . Currently running 94 pump gas @ 18-20lbs Boost.

If you are doing a head swap why not replace the cam to actually take advantage of the new found head flow ? And replace the timing chain while u are there the stock plastic tooth gear is a joke imo

If you are doing a head swap why not replace the cam to actually take advantage of the new found head flow ? And replace the timing chain while u are there the stock plastic tooth gear is a joke imo

I have given some thought to swapping out cams too, but would need some help in the installation & degreeing in.
I’ve already got a TA performance TA V1522B High Performance Billet Timing set ( stock style Chain with tensioner) installed behind a TA performance front cover.

Last edited:
I have given some thought to swapping out cams too, but would need some help in the installation & degreeing in.
I’ve already got a TA performance TA V1522B High Performance Billet Timing set ( stock style Chain with tensioner) installed behind a TA performance front cover.
Why would
You need help ? If you can swap heads you can swap cams . And you can just install the cam striat up line the dots up and call it good . I have done that on abunch of my motors build and have not had any issues . To degree the cam In is also fairly easy just watch a you tube video acouple times and it all makes sense and is pretty easy imo .

I hear ya!
Am thinking I’d also have to check pushrod lengths with a push rod checker since a different cam would most likely have different installed tolerances on the lifters? ‍♂️

yourr pushrods will be alil different again not that big of a deal . the cam isn't whats going to change your pushrod length btw it will bw your head swap.the reason the cam doesn't change that length is because both cams will have the same base circle .

Sounds like my winter project then!
Good thing my garage is insulated & heated. I can take my sweet time

Big gains. The turbo and manifold pressure will be more of a limiting factor than the cam will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in Brian. My turbo is a Precision DBB 5857 with S ported shroud & Garrett .63 A/R exhaust housing.

I have a 210/205 Cam I could drop in, vs leaving the stock cam in, but it’s obviously simpler just to install heads & Champion intake manifold .

Without increasing manifold pressure I’d bet there’s almost nothing to be gained with a cam. A few hp. Springs have to be right either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the missing components to the successful combination is Julio's Alky Kit plus added boost!

How many miles on the stock cam? I have seen a heads and intake car run well. On the other hand, the cam may have some bad lobes after 30 years of use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No, with your current set up. Save the hard work for over winter. What kinds of times do run?

Was planning on doing all the work over the winter. Haven’t been to the track yet .

How many miles on the stock cam? I have seen a heads and intake car run well. On the other hand, the cam may have some bad lobes after 30 years of use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

over 60,000 + miles on the original cam

Put a cam in it, winters are long and you have the time.;) 206 or 212. my choice is the 212.

Old stock long block for me went 110 in the 1/4 at 29psi. New engine with a 206 roller and just heads I cleaned up with a champion hot air intake went 117.68 @ 24psi.