Brake swap

butch2000

Ok , I have read that some guys are using the 98 - 2000 camaro, f-body brakes on there GN's ? but it is not really clear what is needed to do the swap ? spindles , portioning valve etc ?
I would like to upgrade the brakes for better stopping . thanks

If you're talking about putting them on a stock spindle, then yes. they're being adapted. You have to cut the steering knuckle in a few locations to use them so it's not a direct bolt on. If you want a simple direct bolt on then you can get a set of dual piston brakes off an98-02 4 door blazer. Everything is a direct bolt on with a larger rotor and dual piston calipers. The draw back is that you have a hub bearing assembly that's sealed.

They are throw aways. If you get a set thats worn you have to be new rotors, not just the bearings.

Why is the sealed hub bearing a draw back?
The draw back seems to be that the assembly doesn't last that long, which doesn't make sense. Hub assemblies are on a mutitude of cars these days both front and rear and hold up quite well. My Olds 88 still has the factory assemblies on it with over 220,000 miles on them and they've never had an issue of any kind. Where I think GM went wrong with them is the big space in the back of the knuckle which is mostly open. If you tap a grease fitting onto it then you could pack it with grease and use the hole the ABS sensor comes out of to replace the grease. That should help them to survive better.:)

Anyone interested in a complete Blazer front disc setup? $200 plus shipping (which would not be cheap cause they're heavy)

If you want a simple direct bolt on then you can get a set of dual piston brakes off an98-02 4 door blazer. Everything is a direct bolt on with a larger rotor and dual piston calipers. The draw back is that you have a hub bearing assembly that's sealed.
Exactly what parts do you have to get off the Blazer for a complete install / no surprises?

Exactly what parts do you have to get off the Blazer for a complete install / no surprises?
Everything on the knuckle from ball joint to ball joint That includes the knuckle, bearing assembly, rotor, caliper bracket, and caliper. All you literally do is remove your brake line, disconnect the upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends, and put all of it back on with the new knuckle assembly. If you look in the suspension section there's a sticky called suspension recipies and it has a link to 11" brake upgrade. It's all about using the blazer knuckle and brakes.:)

" link to 11" brake upgrade"
Sorry to bother, but I don't see it. Can you post the link?

I intentionally made a sticky of an old thread that had all the links in it for brake upgrades and suspension upgrades. All the links are good, which took a while to correct.:confused: It's in the suspension section so it would be easy to find.:D

I intentionally made a sticky of an old thread that had all the links in it for brake upgrades and suspension upgrades. All the links are good, which took a while to correct.:confused: It's in the suspension section so it would be easy to find.:D

uh?

I go to the suspension recipes thread:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/suspension-recipes.326227/

I don't see any references to the 171079 thread or the 11" bolt on blazer brakes.

When I do a search for 171079, I find plenty of threads with that link, but they don't work:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/171079-11-bolt-brakes.html

Thought I added it Shawn.:( I will add it now and if you find any other decent brake upgrade threads feel free to add them.;)