brf 2004R non-lockup ok to use with restalled d5?

haywire4130

i have some spare trannys and converters laying around and my buddy is building a mild small block 32 roadster kit. i offered him my old 2004R so he could have overdrive (vs the th350 he was going to use). my question is: the 2004r is set up with a transgo non-lockup kit, and i was planning on giving him a restalled d5 converter. will the 2 jive if just bolted together and ran as-is? (obviously the lockup wouldn't function which isn't an issue) or do i need to replace the o ring, the check ball in the input shaft and reinstall the lockup valve and solenoid to make it happy? any experience would be appreciated!

it will remain locked if you dont reconfigure for lockup

replace oring on input shaft
replacing check ball in end of input shaft (optional as it will function without the check ball but lockup will be harder)
remove non lock valve , reinstall the OE lockup valve and springs
reinstall TCC solenoid and wiring

f

Awesome, thats what I was looking for. My friend isn't going to use the lockup function, so I may omit the check ball (I destroyed it removing it and have no clue where to get one anyway). So I'll reinstall all the lockup parts and press on. Thanks!

Not connecting the TCC Lockup when using a Lockup TC will create extra Trans heat which will also be transferred to the Engine coolant if the Trans cooler lines are run thru the Radiator. When operated for extended periods this extra heat can cause Trans damage. Many Rods already suffer a lack of cooling from limited Radiator size & available space. Wiring a Lockup is very simple & recommended. I also recommend running the fluid thru both the Rad. and an Auxiliary cooler if possible. TCC Lockup Diagram.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I reckon he could just as easily hook it up. Hes an older guy and is terrified of wires, maybe I'll hold his hand when he gets to that point hahaha.

Thanks for the pic, I reckon he could just as easily hook it up. Hes an older guy and is terrified of wires, maybe I'll hold his hand when he gets to that point hahaha.