Broke my fuel line

l3lue

I just got my 87gn and am going thru the spring cleaning went to change the fuel filter an it looks original from 87 it is very rusty and in bad shape, i sprayed with PB blaster an let soak for 4 days and tapping it, today i broke loose the nut an line going back to the tank an all seemed well, however when i went to loosen an undo the front nut it came loose and kinked an tore the front line ( this line looks very rusty)
I am upset but figure now is the time to catch this and not rolling down the highway an spring a leak, what our my options for replacement? Can i replace with a braided like or is it best to stay metal? How hard is it to do and where exactly does this line run? Ive never done this so any pointers or tips will he greatly appreciated i guess i am down until this is replaced [emoji30]

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

That kit is for over the axle only. Those little spring clamps are insufficient.

Id like to just replace the line i broke for now do they sell just that like for now? The other line coming from the tank didnt look as bad

I did the same thing. You can get a compression fitting from advanced auto or AZ.

I did that initially, then changed it to a steel braided line after a few months. The install was really easy.

If it's the line going from the front of the motor to the fuel filter you can piece those parts together and do it cheap with some compression fittings. If it's the whole feed line then order the line from the right stuff detailing. Just bought feed line this past winter and shipping was quick and well packaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The line running from the Fuel filter to the front of the car is easily removed. If you cannot make a replacement yourself, find a quality local tube shop and they should be able to make one for you.

Yea its only the line directly from the filter to front of the motor, does anyone have a diagram of the fuel lines? How many lines are on this car?

I did the same thing. You can get a compression fitting from advanced auto or AZ.

I did that initially, then changed it to a steel braided line after a few months. The install was really easy.
What size braided lines and adapters did you need? From the filter where does this line go exactly ?

I went with a -6 AN, because I upgraded my fuel pump. I used a fuel repair line to attach to the filter and attached the braided line to that. I feed the line along the frame next to the old line(no jack needed, cars not lowered). It goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I used an L shaped fitting for the FPR and attached the braided line to that. I prepped the braided line before hand and It took me 20 minutes to complete minus all the sexy zip ties. I got the lines and clamps from a motorcycle shop, they usually stock that stuff.

After a few more months, and after I found out how easy it was, I replaced all the lines.

Attachments

• Repair line.jpg
    Repair line.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 78
I went with a -6 AN, because I upgraded my fuel pump. I used a fuel repair line to attach to the filter and attached the braided line to that. I feed the line along the frame next to the old line(no jack needed, cars not lowered). It goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I used an L shaped fitting for the FPR and attached the braided line to that. I prepped the braided line before hand and It took me 20 minutes to complete minus all the sexy zip ties. I got the lines and clamps from a motorcycle shop, they usually stock that stuff.

After a few more months, and after I found out how easy it was, I replaced all the lines.

attached the fitting I used for the FPR. A little Teflon tape and its good to go.

Attachments

• l shaped fitting.jpg
    l shaped fitting.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 80
attached the fitting I used for the FPR. A little Teflon tape and its good to go.
The fpr threads ARE not NPT. Jamming that fitting into them, and relying on the tape to perfect the seal, is dangerous.
AN braided on that "repair line" necessitates using hose clamps??
Good luck w/ that repair. Hope you have a fire extinguisher on board.

Buy two Dorman 3/8" fuel line repair ends. Two compression fittings and a 3/8 steel brake line. Your gonna need a tube bender. It's easier if you have the old line out and use that as a guide to bend the new line. If your not comfortable with this or don't have the tools it might be a better idea just to buy the Right stuff kit and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the car is as rusty as you say, get a new stock replacement line. And, be aware that where the fuel and brakes lines are run together over the crossmember mount. They like to rust together, pull them apart and now there is a hole in the brake line. BTDT, x2.

R&R'ing the line from the filter to the engine isn't difficult. It's when that dang brake line goes too that causes issues. And better to find it now then when the brake pedal goes to the floor.

Another tip is that when replacing the fuel filter, loosen the line clamps for that forward section of line. Can slide it forward as the tube nut is loosened. This makes it much easier to R&R the filter without bending the line going to the tank.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes that fitting works fine, you can use a short piece of FUEL INJECTION rated hose instead of compression fittings to couple them if you want to, it's less work.

I double clamp the rubber stuff since you get 4 clamps in most of those pre-packaged clamp displays.

They make those repair ends in different lengths too I believe in case you have to cut out some rotted line further upstream.