Buick’s at Bates 2020 - Hybrid

Lil Truck

I spend to much time here....
This 1948 Willy’s Jeep Truck has been my project since August 2015. I just finished it and it will be at Bates 2020! It has an 87 GN Engine and transmission. I will post more pictures of the build later if anyone is interested?
EE27413E-6F6E-42C7-882A-91459CF265FD.jpeg

Such a classic. Was there a way to keep the 4WD if you had wanted? Now for the green paint that 99% came with.
Love the small block with economy blower. The alternator cover is awesome too, do you know if they make them for GN in Maxwell House decaf?

You could keep the 4wd but these vehicles suffered from high speed steering wobble so changing out the axles and steering is the common upgrade along with a motor swap. This gray is the original color from 1948. Many were used by the Army. I will look into the Buick Folgers cover! Lol ... high speed for these trucks 45 mph at wot 55 if you had OD! Lol

Last edited:
Thankfully rust was minimal all the original body parts and frame were used!

You could keep the 4wd but these vehicles suffered from high speed steering wobble so changing out the axles and steering is the common upgrade along with a motor swap. This gray is the original color from 1948. Many were used by the Army. I will look into the Buick Folgers cover! Lol ... high speed for these trucks 45 mph at wot 55 if you had OD! Lol

Very nice indeed!!
I figured there were some that left the factory as 2wd like the old IH Scouts in the ‘60’s. The first Scout model 80 was 2wd. It seems most that you see are 4wd, or as IH called them, all wheel drive as they limited slip diffs on both ends.

The Scouts suffered from the death wobble as they had 0 caster until the last year, 1980, they had 2 deg.
Any idea if this was the cause of the Willys wobble?

That's COOL! We don't see many old Jeeps around here. They all rusted.

Very nice indeed!!
I figured there were some that left the factory as 2wd like the old IH Scouts in the ‘60’s. The first Scout model 80 was 2wd. It seems most that you see are 4wd, or as IH called them, all wheel drive as they limited slip diffs on both ends.

The Scouts suffered from the death wobble as they had 0 caster until the last year, 1980, they had 2 deg.
Any idea if this was the cause of the Willys wobble?
I don’t know the exact causes of the death wobble, just know most people change out the steering system. This truck had an added steering stabilizer but it’s max speed in high gear was 45mph. Lol