Bumper filler paint job costs? $500?

Hot Air Beast

Hot Air Lover
I am not even sure I want to know what others have paid since the job is done and the fillers are installed (one of the easiest things I have ever done on this car).

At the very least it will help if someone wants to know who did the job and if I would recommend them; or if the body shop wants a referral.

Bottom line, I used the Good Mark flexible plastic. As advertised, all they needed was to sand and paint. Fit was perfect. The product looks and fits just like the original.

So, is $500 to just paint the fillers (front and rear) in the ballpark?

Phil, from Canada in Florida now.

Depends on the shop...

I think that's pretty fair. How would I figure it?

1hr/filler * 4 @ $55/hr (conservative, some shops could charge more or less) - $220
4hrs materials @ $42/hr (again, depends on the shop) - $168
Tax on materials (8.25% TX tax) - $13.86
Total - $401.86

So, ballpark? Sure.

Bottom line - if you're happy with the outcome and the job, and felt OK enough to pay it then you should be good to go.

My $0.02

I am not even sure I want to know what others have paid since the job is done and the fillers are installed (one of the easiest things I have ever done on this car).

At the very least it will help if someone wants to know who did the job and if I would recommend them; or if the body shop wants a referral.

Bottom line, I used the Good Mark flexible plastic. As advertised, all they needed was to sand and paint. Fit was perfect. The product looks and fits just like the original.

So, is $500 to just paint the fillers (front and rear) in the ballpark?

Phil, from Canada in Florida now.

I paid $1000 for four fillers and a hood. The fillers were new, and the hood had to be stripped and prepped from bare metal.

Depends on the shop...

I think that's pretty fair. How would I figure it?

1hr/filler * 4 @ $55/hr (conservative, some shops could charge more or less) - $220
4hrs materials @ $42/hr (again, depends on the shop) - $168
Tax on materials (8.25% TX tax) - $13.86
Total - $401.86

So, ballpark? Sure.

Bottom line - if you're happy with the outcome and the job, and felt OK enough to pay it then you should be good to go.

My $0.02

This is as close to real world as you can get. There is actually lots of prep work, checking for little nibs etc. Once its painted you stuck with it. Sometimes cheaper is not better. :eek:

I just paid 550. 200 In materials to the paint supply for his use of camera and paint/reducer. 350 to body shop for paint fillers and help me put on bumpers after I installed the fillers. Not sure if I did good or not. But it’s done. Vinny

This is as close to real world as you can get. There is actually lots of prep work, checking for little nibs etc. Once its painted you stuck with it. Sometimes cheaper is not better. :eek:
No prep work (dimples to fill or whatever) as the Goodmark brand is almost paint ready - sand and paint.

OK so it looks like 5 bills is in the ball[park - hate to think what it would have cost if I had used fillers that required prep work. Thanks for the opinions guys.

As an occasional street cruiser on a tight budget I went in a different direction and found a near perfect match with a rattle can of primer, color and clear. About 30 bucks and looks fantastic.

I've paid $300 with knowing the owner of the body shop well so 5 bills isn't so far off.. but the job has to be mint.

Could have bought them already painted from Spoolfool for 400.00
Technically speaking, I do not sell them painted. That is the gloss black gelcoat. it is a very close match, but not perfect.

You probably made the mistake and told them what car it was going on. If you would have said a plain ol' black Regal it would have been 1/2 the price. I took my 69 Camaro and my GN to the paint shop at the same time for a quote, 8500 for the camaro and 12K for my daily driver GN.

Usually for a price in that ball park , they have to use a flexible primer on those and give you some sort of guarantee for a couple of years against fading.

I had my Danko’s painted and installed for $500 at Delavan Auto Body in Bellville N.J. 2 years ago ,they are absolutely perfect.

All over the map huh! So all in I paid $800 usd and installed myself so I can live with that. They were Goodmark and were perfect as to smoothness and fit. Shop did use a fexible primer and they do look great. Had a quote of $900 Canadian to paint the hood roof and trunk lid, matching to existing fenders, two years ago and had another quote of $3,500 cdn same day for exact same job. Lauries Auto Body in Ottawa Canada did great job on the whole car, back in '98 or '99 - he is the 900 guy - going there for sure in the spring.