Buying my 1st grand national

Be cautious, what I'm seeing is the front of a 1987GN with the grill an air dams. Also 1985 GN didn't come with the 3rd
brake light. There's other ways that you can find out what year it is, by the Vin# but I definitely would want to know the
reason why the RPO Code sticker is missing.

Be cautious, what I'm seeing is the front of a 1987GN with the grill an air dams. Also 1985 GN didn't come with the 3rd
brake light. There's other ways that you can find out what year it is, by the Vin# but I definitely would want to know the
Ad says it was repainted 5 years ago. I texted him and he said the vin comes back as t type. Should I behave him send me the vin number?

I know these cars are faked a lot that's why I've been skeptical in buying 1 and I've been trying to obtain 1 for the last 4 years

Yes a copy of the Vin# and Photo of the Vin# from the front windshield, CarFax would be great, Also pics of
engine compartment. Me personally I never was an advocate For Craigslist when trying to buy these cars.

Yes a copy of the Vin# and Photo of the Vin# from the front windshield, CarFax would be great, Also pics of
engine compartment. Me personally I never was an advocate For Craigslist when trying to buy these cars.
Yea but I don't know of any other place to look for 1 of these cars but I will send pictures of that to you tomorrow when I go check it out. The car is located locally

They are non intercooled. Intercooled cars is what people want

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Dude, you need to spend some time on this site reading and educating yourself on these cars before you go buying one of any year. You are in the right place but need to spend some time researching. There is tons of info here and on gnttype.org that will help you a lot.
Where are you located, maybe there is a trusted member near by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, you need to spend some time on this site reading and educating yourself on these cars before you go buying one of any year. You are in the right place but need to spend some time researching. There is tons of info here and on gnttype.org that will help you a lot.
Where are you located, maybe there is a trusted member near by.

I'm located in Stockton, CA. I know I need to do research but sometimes i get too anxious and i think it's because i can finally afford to buy 1 now but I do need to slow my roll... made a few mistakes by not being patient but JM said I should get an 86 or 87 and I think that's what I'm going to do but I see the 87s with prices all over the place and I'm left with the question of what is a fair price for 1 that's in good condition and with decent miles

Unless you are dead set on a GN, personally I would go looking for an 86 or 87T type/Turbo T. What is your budget

It's already been said.... but, definitely do some research. That's a hot-air car for intercooled money. The differences are far beyond just the intercooler, though both 3.8 liters, the engines aren't the same. Intercooled cars are far more desirable, with the 1987 GN making the most stock horsepower and torque, and the 1986 GN having many less units in the production run. Is there a reason you are only after a Grand National? As Charles mentioned, there are other options. The '86 T-Type/ '87 Turbo T cars are mechanically the same as the GN, but with far more color and interior options. If the $16k car in that ad fits your budget, you should be looking at intercooled cars for sure.

Last edited:
Keep your money in your bank and do more research about TBs. There's some nice turbo cars for sale here. At least find a guru in your area to help you shop. There's a lot to learn and you don't want a problem child to start with.

It's true the 84/5 are rare compared to 86/7 but rare doesn't mean it's worth more. Do some research and wait til a nice Intercooled one comes along. They do pop up at decent prices. It will help to find someone who knows these cars local to help you check one out.