You can type here any text you want

Camaro Swap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNDreamin

I'm in the process of doing an engine swap into a 91 v6 camaro. The engine I'm putting into it is out of an 84 GN and I'm converting it into an 86-7 GN engine. I have all of the parts to do the conversion but I'm trying to solve the problem of the turbo oil drain location. I've decided to run the drain into the oil pan. But to do this I'm using a deeper oil pan. Is their any problems I will face in running a slightly deeper oil pan and locating the oil drain at the front, top, off-center towards the passenger side? It's been done successfully many times in GN's but I don't know if their will be a clearance issues in the camaro. Thank you for any input

How's it going?

I think we talked via e-mail... wondering how it went and if you had any other issues?

~Scott

I got the car!....it's actually a 5.0 rs so I'll have to do the tach conversion. Now I just need some more money :biggrin:

Lee Thompson is making oil pans for the hot air to IC motor conversion. 1 inch deeper w/fitting for oil drain tube. If you were looking to buy one instead of making it yourself. -Nick.

Actually, I've spoken to Lee and I'm getting one as soon as the $$$ rolls in. Thanks for the referal though :biggrin:

Hey Scott, would you care to share with us on how you made it to 10's on pump gas :biggrin: . I have a similiar goal. If you don't mention an Alky kit I'm gonna fall out of my chair.....haha! Thanks to everyone for the advice so far on the build. Their will be alot more that needs to be given I'm sure. I'm very thankful to be apart of the TurboBuick community.

P.S. Congrats again on the 10.92 Scott. Can't wait to see what the new setup brings.

Ok... fall out of the chair now..lol...

Yea.. I've never put Alky on anything. (yet) lol...

Here is the setup..no real black majic...

Stock block,crank,rods. Steel caps.
JE pistons (full float)
Out of the box non ported GN1 heads
Stock intake cleaned up on the inside
Accufab throttlebody/upper plenum
TTA front mount CAS
.72mm turbo
218/218 cam (non roller)
200R trans with 3000stall
9" ford with 3:50 gears,detroit locker/35spline axels good center section.

The car started out running 12.60's and with tuneing at the end of the year it was consistant low 11's. (gota love that FAST system)
It took awhile for the owner (then) to learn how to launch and me to get the Fast System dialed in.

Funny story... we had a 3" down pipe on it and all we could build for boost was 18lbs. No matter how much we cranked the actuator. So, I kept putting more ignition timing in it since we got no knock. The car kept getting faster and faster each pass till that night at US41 we got our 10.92 pass. We got home and later that week I made a 3.5" down pipe down to the duel 3" system that was under the car. Never touched the actuator rod..... Paul took the car around the block and came back with a shocked look on his face.
I was like.. .what??? he said I had to do a double check on the boost gauge.. I said... why? He said it was at 26.5psi now! :eek:
The old hacked up...temporary down pipe had been holding us up.(back pressure)
He took the engine and trans out of the Camaro two weeks later and put it in his very nice GN.. And left the Camaro Chassis sit... and I ended up buying it from him and it's awaiting my engine...
Whew.. Sorry for the history lesson but that's how it went to reach our goal.
Hope that sheds some light on how we got there...
Just takes patience and tuneing to get there safely.
Don't get greedy and look for that 10sec pass on the first time out. Your bound to be tearing it back apart. :D
Hope that helps..
Scott~

....And fall I did

That's crazy! These engines continue to amaze me. Just out of curiousity, did you remove your front metal bumper bracket in the camaro to improve the airflow to the intercooler? I think I've heard of some doing this for drag racing purposes but it doesn't sound safe for drag or street. I don't even think it's legal for street but it looks like it really hinders the IC airflow.

P.S. Was the 10.92 on 92 octane?....just wondering

Lol..

On the Camaro I have now we did not. The rebar(crashbar) stayed in place.

The other Camaro we did with two GN IC's welded together we did have to

remove the bar because the IC would only fit exactly where the rebar was.

At the time when we were running the Camaro up until about 3months ago

there is a Citgo gas station a few miles from my shop here that had 95oct

as their premium gas. I'm sure it had ethonal additive in it.(guess) to get that

rating when most stations were 92 or 93.

They recenlty changed to 92 as their premium.. :mad:

My Maxima still runs on that with 13psi so I guess I can't complain.

My wife likes the smell of race fuel and she "thinks" the truck likes it better.

With as little boost as I've got it setup to run at this point the high oct. is

just making it smell pritty and cost her more....

Thanks for the comments, Attatched is a jpg of the double GN IC we had in the other Camaro... (now in the Mustang)

Scott~

Attachments

• doubleGNIC1.JPG
    doubleGNIC1.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 202
rebar and engine bay prep

Does the rebar effect the air flow as much as I was thinking? If so can it be modified to bridge upward allowing more air in the front......if you now what I mean. The Camaro I bought didn't come with on and I haven't gotten one yet so I didn't know if I would just be wasting my time or anything. Also, I'm gonna try to get pics up soon( I don't have a digital camera)....sorry for the delay. Prepare yourself for flatblack paint and really ugly Bandit Edition snowflake rims.....no joke...haha

Maby it'll be the new stealth bomber? :biggrin:

When I get back to work on my car.. I plan on taking the front and rear re-bars out and replacing them with a single 1 3/4" round tube that we'd use for a roll bar and replaceing both of them with that and at the ends where they bolt up to the unibody just having 1/4 plate steel there (welded to the bar)

Makes for a smaller re-bar and lighter.. with some saftey too.

I may need to run some supports out to the bottom of the bumper for mounting and stability at high speeds... our front bumpers become very flexible at speeds over 80 and buckle/disforum killing the paint and the aerodynamic's of the design.

Yea...put up some pic's when you get them..

~Scott~

It appears more bombed than bomber at the moment....haha

Hey Scott,
I was considering running a setup very similar to your old one because it's an engine combo that acheived the goal I have sort of "set" for myself on this build. Except, I was considering the diamond forged pistons and replacing the middle main's with billit one's instead of all four. Would this handle the 72mm turbo well enough? I know the turbo is a beast, but I am looking at mostly running around 17lbs of boost on the street and turning it up to around 25lbs when I hit the tracks. Is their anything that you woud have done differently in your old setup such as a different torque converter, rearend gears, or anything not mentioned? Sorry, I don't want to "steal" your setup. I just wanted to go with a proven performance setup and work from there. Thanks for the help!
P.S. Pix will be up in about 2 weeks. Sorry all, but the digital camera is at home and the car is at school.....miles and miles apart :( Hopefully, I can then get everyone up to speed with my project. Then maybe I won't be the only one pulling my hair out....haha

I did the center caps in billet.. not the two ends. (same as you)

Some people may argue this point of using a large turbo but I find that

it's benificial to run less boost with more volume of air being pushed than

a small turbo with alot of boost and about the same amount of air.

The more pressure you use the hotter the air gets. That's my way of looking

at things. Then you not upgrading turbo's every year to the next step up

to make more power. (waste of money) buy it once. Diamond Pistons would

be just fine. We tried 3:89 Gears in the car to begin with.... we soon switched

to 3:50s and did not loose any 60' and gained 3mph. RPMs at 1/4mi were

much better too. 5600 I think. VS 6000 w/3:89s

I think I'd have put in a 400TH (like I am going to do) with 3500stall.

That's about all I'm going to change. My engine has good rods,girdle and

ported heads. I'll be running a .76mm turbo just because I'll be going stage2

in a few years.

Your welcome to use any information i've done to my car to help yours.

I like to share information.. There's alot of suspension stuff I can give you

pointers on when you get to that part... Be glad to help anytime. :)

~Scott

Thanks again! I'm totally in agreement with you on the "bigger turbo@ less boost thing"......as the ol' saying goes "great minds think alike" :biggrin:

P.S. Please keep us informed on your build progress as well.....no pressure though ;)

I'll be starting on that this fall. I've been finishing the Blue T-Type and working a little at a time on the Typhoon... She's driving that daily now.
Working out the little quirks that have happend to it over it's life.
Neat little truck.

I'm going to try and get the video's i've got of the Camaro switched from VHS to DVD... maby I can post a few passes.. :)

Scott~

Back