Camshaft question.

HackersDna

Test don't Guess
So an entire build is coming to a head. Ready to buy a camshaft kit "Cam-Lifters-Springs-Locks-Retainers". I want to go Hyd Roller. Like a 210/210 or split
So first question... All I see available as far as Mnfg is Comp & Weber. All the re-search that I have done shows a lot of guys did run the DLS cams but I guess they are out of business due to I can not find any vendor that offers new. Can some one correct me on this. The Comps have a lot of great feedback on here but hell is that due to lack of choices.
2nd.. Research again shows that Johnson lifters are highly recommended and I do see individuals who sell them but not vendors??? And either way even the individuals do not offer a kit where the lifters could come with choice of cam.
Thanks Guys!!
BTW- There were no kits at Richards.. I was looking, lol.

So an entire build is coming to a head. Ready to buy a camshaft kit "Cam-Lifters-Springs-Locks-Retainers". I want to go Hyd Roller. Like a 210/210 or split
So first question... All I see available as far as Mnfg is Comp & Weber. All the re-search that I have done shows a lot of guys did run the DLS cams but I guess they are out of business due to I can not find any vendor that offers new. Can some one correct me on this. The Comps have a lot of great feedback on here but hell is that due to lack of choices.
2nd.. Research again shows that Johnson lifters are highly recommended and I do see individuals who sell them but not vendors??? And either way even the individuals do not offer a kit where the lifters could come with choice of cam.
Thanks Guys!!
BTW- There were no kits at Richards.. I was looking, lol.
Bison sells cams and Johnson lifters. He has been at this a long time. However Tyler will also do a good job. You should have talked with RC he would have help you along. Ray

I'm a nobody in the scheme of things so trying to get RC's attention was impossible. I Knew Bison sold the Lifters but getting his attention is rough to. Thats why I was trying to find an actual vendor who has a site where I can just buy the crap. I will call Tyler tomorrow. Talked to him a couple of weeks ago. He at least seems excited to sell people parts.
Am I correct though that the actual manufacturers of camshafts for our cars are very limited unless you order a custom grind?

I'm a nobody in the scheme of things so trying to get RC's attention was impossible. I Knew Bison sold the Lifters but getting his attention is rough to. Thats why I was trying to find an actual vendor who has a site where I can just buy the crap. I will call Tyler tomorrow. Talked to him a couple of weeks ago. He at least seems excited to sell people parts.
Am I correct though that the actual manufacturers of camshafts for our cars are very limited unless you order a custom grind?
There is no such thing as a nobody in Richards eye, he would be more then happy to talk Buick’s with anybody. And for Bison he is a vendor on this site, just contact him and he would be happy to talk with you as well as a Tyler. I do wish you success with your motor.
Ray

Call bison if you call him during business hours he is a great person to deal with. He's been there and done it with personal experience. He knows what works and has cars to prove it. Un like some other people. He has turned my car into a beast with just selling me parts.

Custom cam from Chris Hogeland Twised6racing.

Attachments

• IMG_5047.JPG
    IMG_5047.JPG
    856 KB · Views: 127
The problem with a generic kit is it doesn't take into account your actual engine mods, goals and level of expertise. Some of the off the shelf cams will be fine for you, others might not be. The better the rest of the valve train is matched to that cam the better it will perform. I would get in touch with Weber, RC, or Bison or someone that's an established TB engine builder in your area and go with their advice. You could be leaving a lot of hp on the table with a bunch of random parts including the converter.

Only person to call is bison.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Appreciate the reply's. I just ended going with a kit from Full Throttle "210/215" I figured out that basically what everyone sells is their customer grinds that Comp produces for them. That is what was confusing to me. I'm figuring out that while there are vendors that sell parts for these cars there are none that actually make the parts.
I get it that the "Veterans" have already been there and done that so they know what works with what and what does not.
But I will say this. The "Veterans" get beat down so bad with lack of common sense questions all the time that when a "Newbie" like myself starts asking questions like.. What is seat spec open.. What is coil bind... What is true center when the cam is already ground +4 degrees..Does the dam thing come with a spec card for cam and springs.. They just throw up walls. I spec out everything and have the knowledge and tools to do so. Doing things twice, Well cost twice as much.
I'm new to the 109's but definitely not new to the field. Again guys thanks for the suggestions.

If you need help with springs pushrods or installed centerline just give me a call i will be happy to help.
Mike

Thanks Mike.
Beatav8 I think it will be a perfect fit for what Im doing and have. GN1's, BGC, 6266, etc:

Got the cam package yesterday "have to say that is the fastest delivery on any part so far. AWESOME".. Anyways what locator is everyone using for the PAC 1201's. I have Aluminum GN1's. the dimensions for the springs are:

Outer Spring I.D. (in)0.860
Outer Spring O.D. ( in)1.260
Inside Spring I.D. (in)0.770

The spring pocket on the heads are 1.55, however everyone knows that did not cut them really nice. Valve guide OD is .55
The old locators were 1.30. If you look at all the dimensions you will see the quandary I'm in hence why I'm looking for a been there done that.