Can’t get oil to drivers side head

poppy1440

Hello fellas,
I have a new engine build.
I primed the engine but no matter how long I prime I can’t get oil to to drivers side.

I pulled the valley plug in the drivers side and there is no oil there either.

The cam bearing that I used are the Dur-BP-13

Any ideas

Roller cam without a groove on the front cam journal in this new engine?

If so, I wonder if you have an early '86 block that doesn't have a groove in the block?

So that's a yes to a roller cam? (flat tappets are grooved)

If the engine hasn't been installed yet, you can build a junction pipe at the rear plugs of those oil galleys. I've been thinking about making a kit to do that for quite a few years.

Something like this

Attachments

• 042B4D3E-386C-4F93-94D4-06AF972198D4.jpeg
    042B4D3E-386C-4F93-94D4-06AF972198D4.jpeg
    870.5 KB · Views: 179
The one's I've seen, the oil tube went under the cam but the outcome is probably the same.

Just put a tune in the back. That's what we did on one of ours and its fine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas,
I’m going to take it back to the engine builder and and have him do it correctly.

He’s built 2 Buick engines for me before without any issues

Hi fellas, something very unexplainable happened.

Took the engine back to the builder and he asked me where did I get the block and I told him that it was in the car when I bought the car a few years ago. Then he asked me did it ever run and I told him yes I drove it a couple of years. I asked him the questions and he said that he couldn’t see how I wasn’t having this issue before because there was some type of poxy that was covering the grove that you guys mentioned and he chiseled it out and now it’s oiling fine on both sides. He said that he missed the poxy the first time.

I was wondering why the engine was oiling at first and I think it’s because the engine initially had a flat tappet cam and now I have a roller which he didn’t know because I tore the engine down myself. Am I correct with my thinking?

Secondly, have you guys ever heard of someone filling in the groove and if so for what reason. Thanks

What really has me concerned now is if the builder didn’t see the poxy initially, what else might he have missed. Shouldn’t he have noticed the epoxy when he knocked out the old cam bearings?

Maybe not when removing but after it was cleaned and going together.

Sure he looked it over while he had it apart this time.

Hi fellas, something very unexplainable happened.

I think it’s because the engine initially had a flat tappet cam and now I have a roller which he didn’t know because I tore the engine down myself. Am I correct with my thinking?

Secondly, have you guys ever heard of someone filling in the groove and if so for what reason. Thanks

Flat tappet cams have a groove in the front journal, rollers don't. It's a HORRIBLE design because every stock engine I've ever seen torn down has a large positive groove in the front cam bearing (and it's even worse when guys just have to have HV pumps, million pound relief springs, and gear dope in the oil pan). That one bearing has to wear MANY hats, and losing a good chuck of its load area is just idiotic.

On that epoxy I have no idea. There's absolutly no performance advantage to filling in that groove. I'm wondering if it just some serious oil coking from lack of oil changes over the years.